1997 Speedster Engine Hatch Lock Query

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTech_Texas

I have a 1997 Speedster and I am looking for a way to key lock the engine hatch so that when I am away from the boat I dont have to worry about the life jackets and other items stored there being stolen. Any ideas or suppliers that have an after market part?

That's a first!

Wow, that's a first. I don't think I've ever had a question like this one. I did some real quick surfing across the web checking some of my favortie aftermarket shops and not only couldn't find one, I had a hard time trying to figure out what department to classify it into. Accessories, hull, storage, etc....
If I was having this problem, I think I'd probably look at my local "Lowe's" at the types of locks that are out in the market today and see what may be applicable.
The space where you reach in to pull the handle to unlock the hatch has a few inches of room on either side of the pin, so if there was some type of barrel lock that was low profile, that's what I'd try.
But to do something tacky like a lock and hasp would be out of the question. To bad you can't put something like glue on the handle to keep people out. I know if it was really bad, I'd put some type of siren in, wired to my batter with a push button switch attached to the cover, so that when they opened it, it set off a horribly loud siren of some type.

Actually I read that seadoo has lock accessories for the lock you are looking for. I see it in the manuals under "optional equipment" If you cant find on fron you local seadoo dealer give me a shout and I'll research the part number for you. I thought of it at one time, but I never leave my jet boat that long to worry about it, an I live in a secure area. Life jackets are like $5.00 each at walmarts.
Karl

I'll do some checking for you too...I know I saw a Part number somewhere...I have a key for my dash and passenger console. It wouldn't be a bad Idea if the boat is on the trailer, if your traveling with the cover off...

Karl

The lock Number may be discontinued, but perko stills make them it just isn't a seadoo part. I'll get a Perko # so we both can order one...Great research!

Karl

Babbitts...

I crossed that part number over to babbitts, which is accessable through a link on the left side of our home page.
The part is listed as the engine compartment latch kit and the cost through them is $24.97. They don't show that it is a discontinued item, so you may very well find your fix there.....:hurray:

Cool!

Haven’t heard of Perko yet. Is that a web store? I didn’t think the price was too steep considering the latch itself was just over $100…..wow, these parts get expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back