1997 Seadoo XP - No Spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TypeRated

Just picked up a non-running 1997 XP 787 today. I’m trying to troubleshoot it, but can’t seem to figure it out.
It turns over just fine, but there’s no spark. I’m also not getting anything from the gauges nor any beeps (I even tried diagnostic mode, but nothing). Battery is new, along with the starter and starter solenoid.
I checked the coil first, since someone had already pulled the electric box apart. Secondaries tested fine, but the primary came back at 2.4 Ω (my other 787 coil tested about the same too). Does that sound right?
Maybe the MPEM? From what I understand, it shouldn’t turn over if that were the cause, right?
1652DFAF-4A8B-4EC0-81E0-1A99758B70CD.jpeg

All fuses good?…test out the pickup trigger,,,it is the initial step for a signal to the cdi…

All fuses good?…test out the pickup trigger,,,it is the initial step for a signal to the cdi…
All the fuses look good. I didn’t test the trigger yet, but I checked and am getting a pulse at the white wire on the coil when I turn it over.

Update: I checked the trigger, stator, and everything I could on the MPEM. The trigger and stator checked out fine. I tested the coil again and still got 2.4Ω, which is out of spec. Turns out I wasn’t getting a signal from the white wire to the coil either.
I have good power and ground going into the MPEM. The fuses were all fine, but a couple of them were higher amps than they should be. I’m assuming at this point that the MPEM is shot. The place at Lake of the Ozarks said they could test it and quoted me $795 for a new one .
Before I go down that path, does anyone have a good one with a DESS key they’ll sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back