1997 seadoo sportster bogs down when running at full throttle for more than a minute

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwill19028

Hello,

I’ve been working on a 1997 sportster for the past 2 months. I purchased rebuilt carburetors for it off of eBay, installed them and the boat ran great. I was getting poor performance and was pretty sure my wear ring was bad, so I replaced the wear ring and impeller. I tested it today and performance seemed great at first, but after about a minute of full throttle the engine would bog down and I’d be at full throttle but the engine would be at a very low power. I’d idle it for a few minutes and then I would rev up again and the same thing would happen. The engine even stalled once when I was applying power. It also seems very unresponsive to throttle application. I really didn’t have this problem before replacing the wear ring and impeller. Not sure if it is a fuel issue or not. I don’t have any grey lines , but I might look into replacing the fuel selector valve.

Check compression.,, maybe a scored cylinder?
Is the pump and prop installed correctly,does the prop rotate smoothly?,,(this is unlikely a cause for your symptoms)...just a shot in the dark...
Also,,,if the compression passes,,,then bypass the fuel selector,,,see what happens?
When you said poor performance,,,was the motor reving,,,but the boat not going?,,,or,,,the boat would not rev?
why did you have the carbs rebuilt?
I am leaning currently to engine issues.

Last edited:
Compression was 135/125. The impeller rotates smoothly. I know I’m on the lower side of compression, I’ll have to try and bypass the selector. Also, it wasn’t that the motor was reving, it was actually not responding to throttle. I would go full power, and the engine would rev up, and we would get up on plane but it seemed like I wasn’t hitting full rpm. Then rpm’s would go down despite full throttle still being applied. I’ll have to check compression again, as I checked it awhile ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back