1997 Sea-doo GSX no power 7.5 fuse keeps blowing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_o

Hello all -

I am having a real issue with this 1997 GSX 787. I have read allot of the forums…

Ski was working great, then while cruising in the morning on glass it just stopped…no power to anything.

Battery

• Brand new
  • Cables clean and tight

Fuses

• Rear fuse good
  • All front fuses good except the 7.5 (blows sec its installed)
VTS

• Motor is good
  • Module is bad
  • Rear boot and clamps new
  • All cables to VTS disconnected during trouble shooting
Stator

• Removed cover, looks new with small amount of shavings here and there
  • 7.5 fuse holds while unplugged, blows as soon as I plug it in while cover is attached.
Where would you guys go next?

Thanks again!!

Dano

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Miki -

VTS is completely unplugged during trouble shooting. The only way to keep the 7.5 fuse from popping is to unplug the stator, or have the stator removed.

i was thinking about removing the stator cover again and looking for metal that might be between the wingdings and flywheel.

Thanks popps, I was thinking that as well. I worried the lower end failed and the crank dropped causing the coils to contact flywheel...Although it was running great on glass at cruising speed.

what are the odds?

but for you to lose all power,,,it's not a stator /regulator issue,,,and that motor is not known for having shavings in the front cover as does the carb'd 951., even if the pickup broke,,,you should still be able to have power to the starter and other electrics,,etc,,,

Thanks again popps,

I know it’s kinda crazy, this ski has been great and was running fine...it just stopped dead no power to anything with a blown 7.5 fuse and now it blows every time you put one in...unless the stator is unplugged.

I can typically fix anything so this one has me stumped. I think I will pull the stator cover again I guess and double check...maybe a broken tooth from starter?

Hey all -

I got frustrated with this and gave up for a bit. anyone have any ideas what the issue may be considering the the above discussions?

Thanks again.

Try, disconnecting the 3 yellow stator wires at the front plug, but not the pickup coil, so that it will start.,If the fuse does not blow, then you know the stator is the problem.

Sometimes,,,it takes a short time, for a stator wire to heat up and short,,,so it may initially pass static ohms tests and short to ground tests,,,then,,,over heats,,and shorts,,,and blows a fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back