1997 GTX stops dead in water after 30-45 mins of riding.....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shajoe44

I have 1997 GTX and this problem started late last summer. I am able to only run the ski with fuel selector in "Reserve" position. My mechanic after looking at it said the main pick up tube is cracked. He gave it back to me after riding season was over. I got it out few days ago, put new battery in it, filled fuel with non-ethanol fuel. Went to the lake and it ran great for about 30-45 mins. We mainly were just cruising at slow speeds looking at campsites from the water. Got ready to head back and decided to pick it up a notch and ski just died. It was like you pulled the lanyard or hit the kill button. Instant power loss. Tried to crank it but battery wouldn't turn the engine over. Waited 5 mins and it turned over and with throttle held down all the way it cranked. Would run a few yards and died again. Got it cranked again after waiting the played with throttle (wide open then off the wide open) and it lasted maybe 30 seconds before dead again. I was close enough to boat landing to paddle on it. Dropped it off at mechanic who works on jet skis. Of course he is booked for who knows how long. He told me he was unable to find a fuel pick up for that year and model. I looked online last night and found one. I have read solutions to similar problems as mine here on this site and solutions go from electrical, fuel lines, carburators etc. Is there a machine that can diagnose jet ski electronics and such like there is for vehicles and anybody know where I should start my search with what I have posted. Thanks

If he is correct they you can get a new pickup from Westside Powersports Seadoo and it is easy enough to change yourself by removing the glovebox on your ski.

I'm going to take a crack at some diagnosis here....

1) if the fuel pickup tube is cracked at some point, then once the fuel level reaches below that point on the tube you would start sucking fumes and the ski will die -> no fuel (this assumes the selector switch is in the NORMAL open fuel position.
2) If the ski only runs in the "RESERVE" fuel selector switch position....that means the engine is sucking fuel out all the way to the bottom of the fuel tank....this is a "tricky" situation to be in as you could be running out of fuel and never know it ....assuming your fuel level guage IS WORKING and you are watching it.
3) There is a system called the CANDOO that plugs into a seadoo ski....but I don't think it'll diagnose your ski as you THINK it will.....the old skis don't have all the new sensors, etc.....they are pretty simple machines in the grand scheme of things......the only real piece of electronics is the MPEM (which is the mystery computer in the ski) and not having a CANDOO myself I can't say if it'll tell you anything like what is wrong with your ski.

A new fuel pickup tube might solve your problem...maybe!

Skis go "bad" for all sorts of reasons, especially a 23 years old ski. You don't provide enough background info for us to try to pinpoint a specific problem.....SO, in the most basic approach....the ski NEEDS a GOOD BATTERY, Properly working Carbs (for good fuel delivery), and good electric continuity through the ski.

But cutting to the chase....anytime people say the ski runs but then stumbles, bogs, quits, etc....the MAJORITY of the time it's because the ski needs CARB work....at 23 years old....FULL REBUILDS are probably in order, along with hose changes (if not already changed), a new fuel selector switch, fuel filter gasket change......just CLEANING a 23 year old carb(s) might help in the short term, but you'll be tearing them out again soon anyway, so do it right the first time.....ONLY GENUINE MIKUNI PARTS (NO aftermarket Mikuni like parts - waste of time and money).

Thanks for the detailed information. I am leaning to your suggestions as I have been reading and reading of Seadoo 1997 problems. Im sure the fuel lines probably have gunk in them and also the carbs are needing so rebuilding also. And I know the fuel valve needs replacing. I am just going to get it all done from the carbs to the valve. Thanks once again. Luckily I have been able to talk my oldest son to let me use his for the summer since their is no way of getting work done on a ski during peak season.

Before you spend the money on the fuel system, I would strongly suggest doing a compression check with a quality (not harbor freight) gauge. The symptoms you’re describing sure sound like lean seizure. It can feel just like you pulled the kill switch, and then be hard to start or keep running until it cools off completely and all of the tolerances open up. If that’s the case, you’ll want to make sure the motor is still healthy... The fuel system needs to be dealt with one way or the other, but you may have a rebuild in your near future after running it lean like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back