1997 GTI Slow Acceleration?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlindblad

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1997 GTI and have been having acceleration issues. It has to be a carb problem but I can't seem to figure it out!
When I go to take off from idle, giving it full throttle, it kind of plows halfway on plane for 5-10 seconds before taking off. Once it takes off it runs great, and if I slow down then quickly speed up again it has great throttle response. If I idle for more than a minute or so it is again slow to accelerate.

What could cause this, so far I have cleaned the main fuel filter as well as the one in the carb (neither were bad), sprayed carb cleaner directly into high and low speed outlets in the carb, and run seafoam through a tank of gas with no effect. I have also tried opening both the high and low speed adjusters by one turn each with no effect. Am I looking at a full carb disassembly/rebuild? What part of the carb would cause a problem like this? Pop-off? High speed jet?

Also, I noticed as I was working on it that the carb on this machine does not have an accelerator pump, whereas my other two GTI 717's do. The problems I am experiencing seem to be in the region of the throttle that the accelerator pump would influence. Are engines without accelerator pumps typically more sluggish than those with? Even if they are I think I should definitely be getting better acceleration out of the hole than I am!

Thanks a lot, any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Michael

Problem solved! The whole time I was assuming it was lean during takeoff. Tried pulling the choke out slightly while it was hesitating and it wanted to stall. I guess it was idling rich, and that excess fuel needed to burn off before it would accelerate. Leaned the low speed adjuster a couple turns and it runs perfectly:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back