1997 GTI - Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

apbaseball

Hello! Long time lurker..first time poster!

I have a new to me 1997 GTI. Runs great, handles well, one issue I'm having constantly is the exhaust manifold bolts coming loose and spraying water in the engine compartment.
I tried replacing the bolts and putting some red thread locker on them and letting them set up overnight. I went out and rode came back, they were fine. I let my brother ride it and he was riding hard, came back and all 3 bolts and the nut were loose.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? I assume this isn't normal for these bolts to keep coming loose.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

The rubber bushing connecting the pipe to the manifold is worn and causing enough vibration to loosen the bolts. You need to replace with new ones. Very common issue on the 720 engine.

2X Rubber Bushing

If the steel sleeve is worn...

2X Metal Bushing

what do u mean u think it's the valve. We lubed everything up when we put it back together

Pull the intake manifold and try it again. Sounds like plastic.

Intake manifold was off, do u think it could be the rotary valve? What had happened was when the top come apart a needle bearing got down in the bottom and was sucked up and came up and busted a jug, washed the motor out and rebuilt the top, the RV had a 1/2 in cut in from the bearing and we welded it up and smoothed it out and it looked fine. Was that the wrong thing to do?

Intake manifold was off, do u think it could be the rotary valve? What had happened was when the top come apart a needle bearing got down in the bottom and was sucked up and came up and busted a jug, washed the motor out and rebuilt the top, the RV had a 1/2 in cut in from the bearing and we welded it up and smoothed it out and it looked fine. Was that the wrong thing to do?

Again Jeeper, don't hijack other threads. Please start your own so we can help you.

Again Jeeper, don't hijack other threads. Please start your own so we can help you.
I do apologize for that and I tried to post a video for an hour last night in a new thread and it would not post. I sent an admin a msg stating so and did not hear anything back. I even downloaded the app and I can't seem to understand how to post on the app as well. I can do everything else but can't post. Once again I apologize

Not a problem it just makes it much easier for members to find and help you in you own thread.

So I ordered the rubber bushings and the have arrived. What is my best way to replace these? Do I have to take the manifold off or can I replace them with it all together? What is the easiest way to go about doing this?

I have the shop manual but I don't see how to replace these anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure if you can do it with the pipe still on the manifold, you need room to get the bushing out of the bottom and the top (need about 3/4 of in inch to squeeze it in), generally you can re-use the spacer. Just one pair of bushings are needed. If I remember right you can replace them on the 787 by just popping the clamp between the two pipe halves, but a bit of a pita to re-clamp with no leaks.

I have had good luck with the WSM replacement bushings for about $4.50 a set. (I usually keep 8-10 in stock in my garage) Not sure what BRP charges.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have the big washer in front of the bushing. I just had the same issue. While fishing for the manifold bolts. I found the big washer. Didn't notice it fell off when I put the pipe back on after it was welded.

The big washer goes in front of the hold down bolt. Keeps the pipe from moving on the bushing. I thought it was bonded to the rubber. I did not notice it fell off.

Gotcha. My final question, do I have to take this out of the water or can I just pull it up on the beach and take care of this?
I would imagine it shouldn't take too long, a couple hours at the most?

I guess this means you keep this on a lift?

much easier on a trailer IMO, that way if you have an issue/delay, missing a tool you won't be looking for a tow.

But yes, if all the bolts come out without a fight then it shouldn't take long at all.

The pipe I pulled off last weekend was a fighter right down the the last bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back