1997 GSX is oil injection required?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Jesse.wood

Hey all, just picked up my first ski (97 GSX), but it's been cut and hacked quite a bit, with the oil tank missing and other lines capped off.

I was just wondering if the oil injection is required? Or can I run 40:1 premix.

Also while trying to start the ski (I bought it not working for cheap) I accidentally flooded the engine with water. I have pushed it all out now though and have managed to get it to run (does run rough) but I'm wondering if the water could've gone anywhere else that I need to flush.

You can run pre mix but you do have to keep the oil line that goes to the rotary valve cavity as that cavity is filled with injection oil. I’ve never had a seadoo that I ran pre mix in but from what I read most people will keep the oil tank for the purpose of feeding the rotary valve that way you still have somewhere to run the vent which runs from beneath the exhaust manifold to the top of the oil tank. The oil feed line to the rotary valve usually goes from the bottom of the oil tank to a fitting just below the intake manifold, it’s a12 mm hose. As for flooding the engine with water, how did you do that? By running it on the hose and having the water running without the engine running? If you did in fact flood the engine with water you need to run the machine in the lake for at least a good half hour to get any residual water out of the engine or else you run a very good chance of rusting the crank. Because this is your first ski I want to let you know not to run the ski out of water for more than 1 minute on the garden hose and not more than 20 seconds without the garden hose. Not sure exactly what they are called but there are bearings that require lake water for cooling. Congratulations on your new ski, the 97 GSX is a beautiful machine.

Ok I'll find/make another oil tank and try get that working. I would love to rip it on a lake for half an hour, but it doesn't run well enough for me to trust it yet. I managed to get it running for a min yesterday on the hose, but it ran quite rough and smoked like a train. Found one motor mount broken and raves screwed quite far in, so fixed the mount and backed the raves off and will give it another go after work today.

I wouldn’t even bother running it on the hose, the hose is really only for back flushing the cooling system and by running it in the hose when it’s not running correctly you run a risk of the engine stalling and flooding the engine with water. You can run it for 20 seconds or so without the hose which is lots of time to see if it’s running right. Really only should run it for like a minute on the hose anyways. Good luck with the GSX

Back