1998 Seadoo Gtx RFI oil injection

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

dylanpearson

Hi, recently I picked up a 1998 seadoo gtx rfi on fbmp the other day it fires up and runs pretty good but after taking a look inside the hull I found what I think is a Oil injection hose clamped off with some vice grips. So after I found that I looked to make sure that they were all hooked up. I looked up a diagram and in the picture I circled the one I believe is detached I was wondering if their might be a specific reason for this? And how do I reattach it. image.pngIMG_0489.jpg

I’m outside right now so I can’t see the picture very well but I think that is the Rotary Valve cavity vent hose, it goes to the back side of the engine beneath the exhaust manifold? And then to the top of the oil tank? My guess is that they were trying to stop a leak from the rV cavity to the outer crankcase and clamped this hose off instead of the oil hose to the rv cavity beneath the intake manifold. I would remove those vice grips and take the plugs out, ground the plug wires to the grounding lugs and roll the engine over before trying to start it, especially after it has been sitting a long time. Keep an eye on your oil, maybe put a mark where the oil line is until you figure out if inner seals are leaking.

After taking a second look, it looks like the vent hose is right beside the hose that is clamped. What’s that other hose in the picture that is going up and over the gas tank?

After taking a second look, it looks like the vent hose is right beside the hose that is clamped. What’s that other hose in the picture that is going up and over the gas tank?
That is running to the bottom of the ski right below the throttle body. I was looking more at the diagram as well it seems they swapped the lines around for some reason or just plain out hooked them up wrong.

Unless your machine different usually there is a 8mm hose with a oil filter on it going to the oil pump from the bottom of the oil tank, a 12 mm hose coming from the bottom of the oil tank to the RV cavity just below the intake manifold and another 12mm hose coming from beneath the exhaust manifold to the top of the oil tank.

Thanks for the information ended up hooking all the oil injection hoses back together today in the correct way. But now the thing doesn’t want to start so i’m now stumped I’ve got spark , compression and fuel.

Unfortunately that is too low for it to start. In your first post you mentioned it was running decently and then you noticed the oil lines weren’t correct. Maybe it wasn’t getting any injection oil. That’s too bad, fortunately top end rebuild isn’t too terribly expensive

Unfortunately that is too low for it to start. In your first post you mentioned it was running decently and then you noticed the oil lines weren’t correct. Maybe it wasn’t getting any injection oil. That’s too bad, fortunately top end rebuild isn’t too terribly expensive
That’s kind of strange though when I first got the ski it ran fine. The compression at the time was 120.

That’s kind of strange though when I first got the ski it ran fine. The compression at the time was 120.
Hopefully it’s just your compression gauge is off. You could maybe get it to start out of the water with 120 but it will not start in the water at that. You could try charging your battery and then try to start it again

Definitely low compression, unless it's just a bad gauge. That looks like the oil supply line to the rotary valve cavity (under the throttle body) that should be hooked up to the bottom of the oil tank. The RV vent line that's adjacent to the clamp goes to the opposite side of the block under the fuel rail and injectors.

It's possible it's been clamped because the inner crank seals are leaking (which fills the crankcase with injection oil) and this is the band-aid that plenty of people talk about on this forum. Clamping that line reduces the amount of oil that will seep past the inner crank seals when it's just sitting. Spark plugs would likely be fouled with oil if the inner seals are leaking. You can also test by pulling spark plugs and cranking over to see if it spews a bunch of oil out the spark plug holes (make sure spark plug wires are grounded on the grounding posts).

I inherited a 98 RFI a couple years ago that had this problem, ultimately rebuilt the engine.

Thanks for all this information. The "RV vent line" was hooked up to the " rotary valve cavity". Which was very weird and the Rv vent line just didn't have a hose on it. So it wasn't getting oil to the bottom end I took it all apart and hooked it up correctly. I haven't had a chance to put it in the water and see if it starts. I'm gonna rent a compression tester from AutoZone to retake the compression.

Back