1997 GSI won't go over 10 mph

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

coreyc543

Just bought my first jetski. It's a 1997 Seadoo GSI with the 717 engine and the single carb. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but this is my first jetski and I've never worked on them. It starts and runs just fine but doesn't seem to rev up right. When I put it on the water, it won't go over 10 mph and the tach only reads around 2000 rpm but I don't know if this works quite right. Engine compartment was just flooded but I replaced battery and spark plugs and it runs just fine now, don't know if that makes a difference. I was thinking maybe it was a carb issue but I don't know how to tune these or anything. Any help is appreciated.

Always check compression first. It’s best to check it before you buy a ski. If it won’t rev up in the water you either have low compression or you need to rebuild the carbs. 150 is great compression 120 and below and you need a rebuild. If compression is good see the carb rebuild thread. That is if water didn’t get in your engine. If it did you could have a host of issues.

Open all the electrical boxes as mwat65 said any time there is a lot of water in the hull or it will cost you in a couple months.

Second I urge you to service the entire fuel system and carb and please find the water leak.

Also replace the small 3/32" oil lines and make sure you are running only API-TC oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back