1996 XP with a rusty starter bendix

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

toyotony

Hello,
Wondering if I could get some help on an issue I am having with my ski.
I operate in brackish water and the starter nose/bendix assembly are evidently getting wet while the ski is being ridden. Once the ski sits for a day or so, the starter will spin, but the bendix will not move outward and engage the flywheel. Whe the starter is removed, a lot of rust is evident on the mainshaft of the starter and it looks like there must be water getting into the flywheel area.
The oring on the starter is perfect, so I feel the water is coming in from another source.
Anyone know if there is a seal or gasket that may have failed and could be causing the issue I'm having?
Tony

Good guys on here can help you out. I rebuilt my starter, 94 XP, last year. Had corrosion on the Bendix also. Can't find it right now but one of the threads I read said to check the Mag/Flywheel housings gasket and oring gasket if you got signs of water after you put in a new starter. My starter had orings between the two endcaps and the starter housing as well as a gasket where the starter bolts to the flywheel housing. I sillyconed all of it when I put it back together. Has worked fine all summer so I guess my Mag Houlsing gaskets and Orings are OK.

There is no water jacket connection to that area so any water has to be coming from outside the motor. You can download your shop manual so you have the drawings you need. G-Luck.

O
Good guys on here can help you out. I rebuilt my starter, 94 XP, last year. Had corrosion on the Bendix also. Can't find it right now but one of the threads I read said to check the Mag/Flywheel housings gasket and oring gasket if you got signs of water after you put in a new starter. My starter had orings between the two endcaps and the starter housing as well as a gasket where the starter bolts to the flywheel housing. I sillyconed all of it when I put it back together. Has worked fine all summer so I guess my Mag Houlsing gaskets and Orings are OK.

There is no water jacket connection to that area so any water has to be coming from outside the motor. You can download your shop manual so you have the drawings you need. G-Luck.

good information.
Thank you.
I know the o ring on the starter you refer to. I'll check on all that you have mentioned here.

Tony

There's a seal on the front cover, and where the MAG housing bolts to the engine. That's the only other way water can be getting it. It's a pain to service that... but if you are in salty water... and it's getting into the MAG housing... you need to fix that QUICK !!! that water is going to rot the MAG, and the front of the crankshaft. (and cause a case leak)

There's a seal on the front cover, and where the MAG housing bolts to the engine. That's the only other way water can be getting it. It's a pain to service that... but if you are in salty water... and it's getting into the MAG housing... you need to fix that QUICK !!! that water is going to rot the MAG, and the front of the crankshaft. (and cause a case leak)

Ok...I guess I have my weekend work laid out for me.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back