1996 Speedster - Oil Lines disconnected

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

puttinginwork

Just bought a 1996 Speedster.

Really eager to take it out, but want to take care of all the minor issues first.

I have attached a diagram of the oil tank and circled the area where the issue is.

The previous owner has disconnected those two lines from wherever they attach to and has simply connected them to each other. So in essence, they run from the bottom of the reservoir and do nothing now.

What are those lines supposed to be attached to? Why would the previous owner do this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 3.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 3.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 42
Larger photo:

4.png

Those are the oil feed to oil injection pumps below carbs. I bet the PO deleted the oil injection and premixed the fuel. You have to keep the oil tank and those other lines to lube the rotax valve.

Thank you for your answer. I felt around and found that both oil injectors have been covered with rubber nubs.

Is the boat safe to run with premixed fuel instead of the oil injectors? What is the recommended mixture for the fuel/oil?

Pro's/con's of doing this? Why would someone want to do it, broken oil injectors?

40:1 with only api-tc oil such as the bombardier xps 2 stroke NOT tcw-3.
Pros: your engine always gets oil
Cons: excessive smoke at low rpm, uses a whole lot more oil, can be a pain to mix 30 gallons of fuel.
The seadoo oil pumps are very relibale unless they are ran dry.
I will be reinstalling oil injection this winter. Oil aint cheap and these things dont get stellar fuel mileage

If you're staying with premix that's not the way to do it. You will need to get block off plates, or remove the RV valve covers and remove the drive gear for the oil pumps. Also block off the nipples that feed the oil to the engine.

I would suggest keeping the oil injection system.

Lou

If one of the block off nipple comes off, you will develop a lean condition that will possibly cause a runaway engine. That will scare the crap out of you. Best to stick with the automatic oiler.

Called the PO last night and he had no idea that the oil lines were disconnected. And also ran it with straight fuel :facepalm:

What have I gotten myself in to?

I'm hoping that the P-PO knew what they were doing in removing the oil lines and took the gear out then. Is it worth having the faith that they did this though....hmm.

If you are going into it, see if the gear is in there, test oil pumps, and fix it while you have it appart. You need to see if the gear is in there no matter what to know if its done right. If there are block off plates on there put a little oil in the spark plug hole and check the compression if the po only ran it for a few minutes youre probably ok for a little while but you might be in for some rebuilds soon

I can't imagine it would have run for more than an hour or so without oil lubricating the engine, did the previous owner use the boat at all?

Andy

Not with straight gas and no oil injection. It could have been full of premix whe he got it and only added a few gallons and had leaner premix.

If and when you do test the oil pumps, use a drill with the proper sized socket and spin the drill in reverse. That's the way it spins in the engine. You will have to pull the rotor valve cover, and then separate it from the intake to get to the oil pump gear.

I can't imagine it would have run for more than an hour or so without oil lubricating the engine, did the previous owner use the boat at all?

Andy

He said he only had it out a few times, and it was a short run each time. Seaweed in the lake was too heavy.

Trusted that the P-PO had removed the gear. That has been confirmed.

It's a miracle that the motors held together if the PO ran straight fuel for a few runs.

Is there any other way for the motor to be fed oil in the top end, that I'm missing?

Tested the compression on each engine. One is 130/130 while the other is 115/125. Going to rebuild at least the one in the winter and re-attach the oil system.

Pre mix or oil injection is the only way it gets oil to the top OR bottom end. The oil lines that run down to the case are only for the rotary valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back