1996 Sea DOO SPX start issue.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

collegekrap

I've searched the forum a few days without luck, so I am going to post a quick question.

SKI, runs fine and idles great. New spark plugs and battery.

The issue is that the ski starts GREAT out of the water. It also starts RIGHT AWAY in the water when the seat cover is off. As soon as the cover is back on it takes 20plus cranks to get her going (this sucks if you fall off ha) and I've also had the battery DIE on my mid lake and had a nice tow adventure back ashore.

ANY help is much appreaciated.

Also, I bought these skis ( I have 96 sp and 96 spx) about a month and a half ago for a pretty sweet deal. I have read a lot of your posts before writing this as some of you have given me great info (compression tests, terrible gray lines (which have been changed by older owner), carb cleaning, bad rectifier ect....

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, Justin

Did the battery die while running or from you trying to crank it ?????

Also for kicks and giggles those ski's have a Black Plastic Pipe under the seat at the back. The pipe goes down toward the hull.
Take it out. It just unclips. See what happens then.

Hey,
thank you for the reply.I'm assuming the battery died from me trying to crank it a bunch of times. It did not just cut out and I couldn't start it back up. I have trickle charge the battery and tested it to make sure it was good.

I'll definitely take that black pipe out and try to see if that helps. Thos is just mond boggling to me

I suspect you have one of two problems, either you have an exhaust leak, if that's the case when in the water take off the seat, then see if the ski will start, and we'll go from there.

Also it could be a sign of low compression, get compression readings, remove the spark plugs, ground the spark plug leads, take the readings on a cold engine with the throttle open.

Lou

Hey there Lou.
thank you for the response.compression test test it out good above 140 on both. also I did explain above that the jetski did start right away with the seat removed. If I have an exhaust leak wouldn't i get water in the hull? ?

You could have a weak battery that is dropping below the voltage threshold to fire the coil. It may have enough to crank the engine over but not enough to start it. My 787 gsx with a new starter and battery cranks over as fast like it doesn't even have plugs in. and it blows 150 psi per jug.

I would be looking at either a battery problem or exhaust leak. But the running fine out of water and in water is more compression related. Let us know what you find.

Hey there Birks,

Thanks for the post!

I bought a new battery and trickle charged it. Multimeter says over 12v. Should I test this during the starting process and see the reading (what should it be?)

Compression tests are just above 140 on both. So I'm assuming that is good.

Also, the ski runs GREAT once it's started. Idles great, no bogging, it's awesome until you fall / take a break and have to restart her.

Could it be a bad / weak starter??? maybe it's old and only engages at full force every once in a while and needs less stress on the shaft or more oxygen?

Again, thanks for the help. I'm trying to wrap my head around this without luck haha.

Justin

Well you need to distinguish if your engine isn't turning over fast enough, or if its another issue. (fuel, spark, RV clearance, exhaust leak)

When cranking, the battery should be above9-10 volts. no less. I believe at 8.something the mpem shuts down.

Try clipping back your plug wires 1/4'' and re-install the boots. Clean the ground on the coil in the e-box and try again. Basically start diagnosing and slowly creep up on it. Sometimes the first step solves the problem, other times you have to keep pushing and thinking methodically.

The boots simply screw into the plug wire. Overtime moisture causes rust/corrosion inside the end of the wire and causes excessive resistance, reducing the amount of voltage getting to the spark plug. By trimming the plug wire back, you get new wire and a tight connection. I like to put di-electric grease on the inside of the boot before re-installing just for added protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back