1996 GTX No Beep

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hey guys, I've been through the electrics on this thing a good bit. Is there some information other than the electrical diagram in the manual? I need a pin out diagram to help me identify the wires. I'm not sure if the MPEM has issues or what. I know the beeper works. Help/Guidance would be appreciated. If nothing else help troubleshoot the beeper problem. Input appreciated.

Beeper may be done. If you have a Radio Shack still in business they have them. You have to solder the leads on. Good luck having an employee knowing which drawer they are in.

The beeper works. I tested it when I assembled everything after painting. Trying to figure out where the beeper gets the signal from so I can test the component. I did testing on the DESS Post and Key a while back as well. That said... The ski kinda starts when it wants. It is getting better and more reliable but still has its moments. I did all the resistance testing on the MPEM and Control module several months back. Neither one passed every wire test 100%.

Power wire for the beeper will be tan or tan w/black. Sounds like your key may be wore out if your DESS post is OK.

The lower rubber section of the Key was damaged (split) and I repaired it. The magnet part works. Problem for me is for the cost of the key and programming I can buy an aftermarket MPEM, new and be done with it. I know people have issues with aftermarket but I called and spoke to the guy a while back. We had a good discussion and I felt comfortable going with aftermarket. I am still undecided. Thanks for any input.

?? Minnetonka4me (Westside Powersports) will reprogram a key for $39. After your description I still say your key is suspect.

I have seen MPEM's do weird things but most of the time if it's intermediate it has been a bad connection, bad wire, bad key or post, etc.

If people having issues with those cheap aftermarket MPEM are members sharing their experiences to help others then I would trust them before the guy that is trying to sell me one.

Well not to get into a debate there is always much misinformation. I sure could use a pin out that tells me what each wire does. I have the wiring diagram but it would be nice to be able to follow the path to the source of the problem. I will do the checks on the DESS post and the key which is why I was hoping to figure out why I get no beeps, never, none, nada, and I know the beeper is working.

I am also thinking the holder relay is an issue as it is out of range on the ohm readings and IT does not always engage with a click when I insert the key. When it does click when inserting the key, the engine will start when I push the start button When it does not click I get a no start but a noise from the holder relay everything I push the start button. So, I get a click from the holder relay when I insert the key, then when I push the start button the holder relay clicks again an the engine starts. Without the first click..... pushing the start button will not cause the engine to turn over. As best I can describe it. :) Then again, if the computer does not recognize the DESS Key.... that could be the main problem.

I need a pin out diagram. :)

Your describing a perfectly working system. Pressing the button with no key runs the gauges for 33 seconds so that's where that click comes from. When the MPEM recognizes the key it clicks and is ready to start. That is when you should get the 2 quick beeps.

I'm suspect of the key. I wish you had another one to try so you could see if it gets recognized every time.

Old beepers get pretty random. Sometimes when they get old and tired you can hook it up to a battery directly and they will scream every time. That's pure 12.6 volts but the signal from the MPEM only has 11.something volts so it beeps when it wants to.

Matt thanks so much for the input. I just hooked up the info center I purchased for a 1997 (mine is a 1996 but all the connectors matched). I will time it but I am not sure it stayed on for 33 seconds. Thanks again. MIght be the key which is fine with me. :)

I don't like to read on the computer but I spent a good bit of time going over the Shop Manual and guess what.... the PIN OUT is in the manual. Now I can check power to the wires and trace down issues. So the chart identifies the wire coming off the MPEM and going to the beeper. All I have to do is check power there for starters. This is gonna make it a whole lot easier for me. If I can get the beeper working it will be better yet. There is also a manual diagnostic mode that can be entered by pushing the Start Stop a number of time with the key removed. I would like to buy a paper manual though....

Reactions: mjl
You can take the pdf manual to a printer and have it printed and bound even.
The beepers are available from Floyd Bell.

The company who made the OEM buzzers.

You can also get one from osdparts.com with the leads already soldered on.

osdparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&cPath=595_602_6&products_id=4050

add http:// then .com to the end, for some reason its non letting me post any links.

Thanks. I am not sure my buzzer is bad as I checked it. I want to do some testing though now that I have better wiring identification. I will be checking power to the beeper.

I have had them work when you apply 12v to them but when it gets the quick pulse from the MPEM they don't do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back