1996 gti getting slower

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I finally have my 1995 gti running good but I noticed that for some reason it has been getting slower any ideas on what may be going on.

I got good compression but I noticed that the ski is running rich I can smell the gas badly and it I noticed that the spark plugs got wet when I took them off.

Did you rebuild the carbs? if so did you use OEM rebuild kit? If haven't rebuilt carb, how long ago was the last carb rebuild, has it been sitting?

Hello everyone my GTI has been running ok but now I haven't used for about 6 weeks and I decided started for a bit but for some reason it started but it was like if I was giving full gas with out pressing anything I tuned off and started again and did the same thing and also did a big back firing any ideas

its sounds like to pop off is wrong, or leaking needles like mentioned above. Did you set the pop off and do a leak test during the rebuild. What was your pop off set at, might be too low?

Hello everyone my GTI has been running ok but now I haven't used for about 6 weeks and I decided started for a bit but for some reason it started but it was like if I was giving full gas with out pressing anything I tuned off and started again and did the same thing and also did a big back firing any ideas
Are you saying it was reving to full rpm, 7800 without touching the throttle?
If so you probaley have an air leak. Most common place is the carb base gaskets.

Yes that is exactly what it was doing I took the carbs off and checked the pop off and it was high so I adjusted but now it will not start I checked the fuses they all good but something is going on with it

First we need to verify your ski as there is no 1995 GTI.
2nd you should not be changing springs chasing pop-off. You need to run the correct spring and needle/seat for your year and model.

Ok thanks .yes you were correct my gti is a 1996 with the 717 however the registration says it is a 1995 so but I checked and 1996 is the first gti came out so I checked the pop off pressure and it was popping at 35 psi according to seadoosource it should be popping at 60psi .I ordered the springs and needles from sbt change them cleaned the carbs but now when I try to start it it won't it will if I pour some gas on the carbs but as soon as it burns what I have pour it cuts off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240317_093430_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240317_093430_Chrome.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 10
So I would be Leary of ordering carb replacement parts from SBT, they may not be genuine Mikuni. OSD Marine is the place to order carb rebuild kits. Order the back to OEM kits that come with new needle and seats and for the extra 8.00 get the new pin and lever in case someone has been bending it trying to adjust pop off. I see in June of 2023 you mentioned you had rebuilt the carbs with genuine Mikuni so if you did? No need to do it again. You mentioned that the compression was good but were the actual readings? Did you follow the carb rebuild thread posted earlier in this thread? Double check that you have the fuel lines hooked up correctly as your not getting fuel now. How much did you pay for your carb rebuild kit? Is it dual carb on that model?

Did you do a leak check after carb build? Could be a leak isn't allowing for suction. I would check that first since you just rebuilt it.
Can you send us a pic of the engine, lets verify it is a 717? And the carbs too , if you can.

As Burtshaver said , double verify that is it an OEM kit, so much trouble happens with the other brands!

I paid $110 for the kit and it came on mikuni bag but you are correct it doesn't mean it was oem I will take some pictures when I get home.

I paid $110 for the kit and it came on mikuni bag but you are correct it doesn't mean it was oem I will take some pictures when I get home.
Well that’s about right price wise, pretty sure the back to OEM kits from osd parts.com are 139.99 USD. I would start by doing a leak check as mentioned by @Grim . Make sure the fuel diaphragm is holding I think it’s 4 pounds? Someone better chime in here, cause I can’t remember for sure. Check you pop off and at the same time make sure the needle isn’t leaking, once it’s all back together make sure the needle isn’t leaking again as an aftermarket diaphragm could be holding the needle open. I think that test is 10 pounds but again can’t remember for sure. The later test is covered in the carb rebuild thread and to test the fuel pump, the procedure is in the manual. Also before you spend any money, take a compression test just to make sure.

This is my seadoo
1000036793.jpg

Attachments

• 17107215710551316534944707744970.jpg
    17107215710551316534944707744970.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 17107216090438805661822494287021.jpg
    17107216090438805661822494287021.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 10
Back