1996 GSX Cavitating - Will not Grab and Go

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bermuda

Hi - been reading this forum for awhile and have gotten alot of really good info - haven't posted because everything I've needed has already been gone over in great detail. Posting now because I have a 96 GSX that is cavitating (I think thats what its doing) it just will not grab and go. It starts right up and runs fine but the link to the video below is me punching it up to 7-8000 rpms even though you can't hear it because of the wind. There is absolutely no water getting into the hull even though it looks that way with my FA on it lol. Just get a bunch of bubbles and churn as you can see in the video. I am also posting several photos of the impeller which IMO looks ok but I could be wrong since this is first ski i have owned.

Any input sincerely appreciated!

Link to youtube video:

Impeller Photos: PXL_20220615_003944931.jpg
PXL_20220615_003908018 (1).jpg
PXL_20220615_003813533.jpg

I would pull the pump and check the wear ring and the impeller.

The impeller looks a little too polished to be stock so I would want to verify that it isn’t the wrong aftermarket impeller.

Thanks for the input - I have also seen other threads where they say that the fuel filters or spark plugs were causing this but assuming I wouldn't be getting the high rpm's that i am if that was the case? I found a video of how to pull the jet pump, doesn't look too difficult - does the wear ring look bad in the photos from the impeller side?

Its like your clutch is slipping. My last ski was like that and I replaced the wear ring and it picked up 20mph

I have a GTX that was having issues where it would act like a slipping transmission, it was the shaft itself, someone didn't put the grease boot on it and the teeth were not quite worn off but close. I would pull the pump and check the wear ring clearances, also make sure the impeller isn't bent on the output side. I have also had an impeller that was bent and it won't accelerate correctly. while you have the pump out pull the shaft and check the splines on the shaft and flywheel.

Just wondering ...maybe your splines are worn/ground out...in the prop or the pto end,,,

I have the exact same problem with a 1997 GTX with only 120 hours in fresh water. Its been checked by two professional jet ski experts one in Kentucky Lakes and one in IL. and they say everything is fine. When I put it in the water same thing all over. I just moved it with my other Seadoo to Washington State because no one in IL would work on it and its like new.

Wow - have the mechanics water tested the ski to see that its not fine? Thanks for everyones input - i will pull the pump this week and also the shaft - is the shaft hard to pull once the pump is off? Never done this before but removing pump looks pretty straight forward.

Yes,,,the pump must be installed inorder for you to remove the 1/2 moon circlip that holds the sleeve opposite the carbon ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back