98 GSX ltd - Lots of water but I don't think from hull

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I am getting lots of water in my one seadoo gsx 98 ltd , I think its only when engine is running, because when she is full of water after taking out of the lake I dont see it dripping anywhere leading me to believe its sucking it in. Attached are some photos of the drive shaft area which I dont think is normal and perhaps this is the cause of my water intake. I also noticed one of the pegs out of the floor matt is out, but not sure if water can get into these holes or not, attached pic here anyway for review. Any advice is much appreciated. filled with water one.jpg20230610_174749.jpg

Attachments

• 20230610_174756.jpg
    20230610_174756.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230610_174808.jpg
    20230610_174808.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 24
What the heck happened to your carrier seal. The grease is supposed to go inside of it not on the outside. Water could be coming through the carrier seal if the seals are bad. There are two seals on it. One towards the outside to keep water out of the bearings, and the second at the end you can see to keep the grease inside. Best way to check is lower the ski on the ramp and start it up on the trailer in the water and observe if you can see water coming in. Or ride it with the seat off.

Also you might have a water leak coming from the cooling system. Bad gasket or maybe leaky exhaust pipe or bad/loose cooling hose. All these things can be checked running the ski on the trailer in the water. You want to do this in the water so you don't burn up the carrier seal which needs water to keep it cool while running.

Yes the rivet holding the traction mat on goes right through the hull. So water will get in through that hole. Is it enough to fill the ski? I would say not when it's running as the bailers would pump the water out. But it will definitely be a source of water getting in when stationary.

And lastly, unrelated to your water leak, I am not sure what happened to your pto rubber boot but it looks like the end was cut off. It is supposed to be full of grease and the small end is supposed to have a clamp on it to keep the grease inside. There is no room for the clamp anymore.

Alright just did a lake test. There is no water coming through the carrier seal. I cant see much water coming in anywhere aside from on the right back side (near the battery) the ports / plugs leading out of the hull at the back all have small leaks. See the photo attached, the one hole with the little wire running through it has a constant flow of water, not like a wide open running tap or anything but imagine just past that dripping stage.. the black hose as well has a similar leak, that and I am missing one of those white fangs on the back. I think all these things combine add up. Also that black hole that just looks like its filled in, that seems to have a small drip as well, but it could just be water dripping from the above black hose. What is that hole even there for any idea? both my 98 gsx lts have it.. seems like it was filled in by some hard plastic and then silicon in... What you think?

Attachments

• 111111.png
    111111.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
Just read your thread from last year. I believe you need part 18.

1998 Sea-Doo GSX Limited, 5629/5845 Propulsion System | Sea-Doo Warehouse
Spider4Real, any idea why the hole for the spinner cable is so large? cant I fill that up with silicone to prevent some of the water from dripping into it or is it supposed to be that way for some reason? Also what of the dud-hole I have capped off with that black piece.. on the back side it looks like it goes to an intake hole on the jet pump, but there is already another intake hole beside it where you would hook the hose up, so what is this capped off one for, and if capped off can I also fill it right up with silicone? Just want to make sure I am not plugging these holes where maybe they need some breathing room.. I dont know. I am sorta newb but learning as I go.

I really don't know enough about your particular model to say for sure. I don't recall seeing holes that are not used on other machines. Hopefully someone with more experience with your model can chime in what that mystery hole is for.

When you say spinner are you talking about the speedometer? There should be a fitting made for the cable to seal the wire where it goes through the hull. If it is leaking I see no reason not to add some silicone to seal it up. As for why the wire is so small I cannot say. My boat had a pretty thick wire going through the hull. Makes me wonder if someone replaced it with a thinner wire.

But once you fix the bailer system any small amount of water that gets in will be pumped out easily. You would only really need to worry about these slow leaks if you leave the ski in the water. But I get that you rather it be dry. I just think fix the main issue then see what it's like.

Cheers.

As well as all the above, check inside the venturi assembly to make sure Both the little black siphon tubes (part # 271001133) are there. Same thing happened to me on my GTX. It took on water while running. The water thru the venturi pushed water back thru the bailer on the side the siphon tube was missing

As well as all the above, check inside the venturi assembly to make sure Both the little black siphon tubes (part # 271001133) are there. Same thing happened to me on my GTX. It took on water while running. The water thru the venturi pushed water back thru the bailer on the side the siphon tube was missing
I dont think these skis have that part. They just have the small white siphon (looks like a small straw) stick out into the jet stream. I know what happened I think.... This ski went in for some fiber glass work last year end of season. I think when they tipped it on its side to do the repair the guy must have grabbed the back to hold it and accidently snapped it off. In any event, its good that its only a 5 dollar plastic tube that needs replacing and nothing major. I appreciate all the advice and help.

What the heck happened to your carrier seal. The grease is supposed to go inside of it not on the outside. Water could be coming through the carrier seal if the seals are bad. There are two seals on it. One towards the outside to keep water out of the bearings, and the second at the end you can see to keep the grease inside. Best way to check is lower the ski on the ramp and start it up on the trailer in the water and observe if you can see water coming in. Or ride it with the seat off.

Also you might have a water leak coming from the cooling system. Bad gasket or maybe leaky exhaust pipe or bad/loose cooling hose. All these things can be checked running the ski on the trailer in the water. You want to do this in the water so you don't burn up the carrier seal which needs water to keep it cool while running.

Yes the rivet holding the traction mat on goes right through the hull. So water will get in through that hole. Is it enough to fill the ski? I would say not when it's running as the bailers would pump the water out. But it will definitely be a source of water getting in when stationary.

And lastly, unrelated to your water leak, I am not sure what happened to your pto rubber boot but it looks like the end was cut off. It is supposed to be full of grease and the small end is supposed to have a clamp on it to keep the grease inside. There is no room for the clamp anymore.
carrier seal was greased right before taking that picture (after runnin on water for a bit), so its just a bunch of excess grease :) I think I pumped her a little to full. No water coming through the carrier seal.

Back