1995 XP almost sank last year - not sure what went wrong- pics and description of event below

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shattered00

Hello everyone,

I have the trailer bow stop corrected thanks to replies in my previous thread. I have moved on to the next phase of trying to get at least one ski ready this summer. There will be a TLDR at the bottom for those that don't want to sift through this post. A quick recap is in order. I have a 95 XP and two 96 XPs. I had the 95 from when I was a teenager and the two 96s I purchased last year for $900. I had all three engines rebuilt (96s had sat for 3-4 years untouched in the elements and an oil injection line broke on the 95 while riding it for an unknown period of time). One 96 is together but has issues. The other 96 is still in pieces. The 95 was resurrected thanks in large part to this forums help as I am not mechanically inclined and have struggled to get things working.

I had placed 7 hours on the newly rebuilt 95 motor without issues and varied the throttle/no WOT, etc. without issue. I used marine synthetic grease on both nipples at the flywheel and the driveshaft boot. The seal carrier/boot was brand new. The driveshaft was aligned with the SBT tool. Late 2017, I took the ski out for one last ride and got onto the lake. Almost instantly I had cavitation and wasn't sure what was happening. After about 30 seconds, and several bursts of the throttle, I removed the seat and observed water was gushing into the ski from where the driveshaft exits through the hull into the impeller . The trailer had already been removed from the ramp and I signaled for it to be returned ASAP. By the time I got the ski onto the trailer, water was up to just below the carburetor tops.

I got the ski out of the water, drained everything, put the boot back against the hull protrusion, tightened the two metal clamps, and then I started the ski out of the water. The boot/seal carrier did not spin with the driveshaft with slight throttle. I put the ski back into the water and almost immediately upon throttle the boot/seal carrier began spinning with the driveshaft again and I got it out of the water immediately thereafter. I didn't have the mental fortitude to continue working on the 95 or the 96s and called it a year.

I am now returning to the battle and am seeking advice on what possibly went wrong and how I can correct it. I can freely turn the boot/seal carrier around the driveshaft without the driveshaft moving. When I turn the flywheel by hand, the boot/seal carrier stays snug. I have attached pictures of the items in their current state.

TLDR: Boot/seal carrier began spinning with the driveshaft and allowed water to gush into the jet ski after it had run for 7 hours without issue - marine synthetic grease and SBT engine alignment tool used for installation - boot/seal carrier (was brand new) does not turn when flywheel is cranked by hand but spins off of the hull extension when throttle is given.

Thank you for any input as to what may be causing my problem and how to address it.

Attachments

• IMG_3181.JPG
    IMG_3181.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3180.JPG
    IMG_3180.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3182.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
It sounds like your hull insert is spinning in the hull (the Plastic tube which the bearing carrier hose slips on and then hose clamp tightens).

If that's the case you need to pull the pump and driveshaft, pull out the old hull insert and Epoxy in a new one. I'd use 3m 5200, but you'll probably want to find the quick dry version as the regular can take a month to completely set. My local home depot carries the 5200 quick dry.

This is actually why seadoo went to the carbon seal setup. If the bearing wasn't greased enough it would lock up on the shaft and rip the hull insert out of the fiberglass, then sink. If you maintain it (grease every other ride) it's more leak proof than a carbon seal, but many ppl dont maintain them properly.

I would just go ahead and replace the entire assembly if you arent sure of the condition of your bearings. You dont want to glue a new insert in just to have old bearings seize up and rip out again.

Another option is to swap it over to the carbon seal, but its user preference.

OSD Sea Doo Driveline Repair Kit (Inc Bearing Carrier / Insert) [OSD2002] - $59.99

This site keeps screwing up the url, so if it doesnt work just search for OSD2002 on the osdmarine.com site.

It's really a pretty easy fix once you've got the parts.

Last edited:
The 95s have a bearing instead of a carbon ring . Your bearings are shot . The thing with the grease fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back