1995 SPX Resto

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
When I gave this ski to my cousin I told him, "You give jet skis to people you don't like. They get hooked, spend money and buy more." LOL Only problem he gave this one back to me and I gave him a 1996 GTX that was running. :) He never did get the SPX running properly so I guess it is up to me. LOL. Now I'm Getting the replacement engine ready to go. Lots of clean up but I'm looking forward to this one. :)

First Pictures 2-16-20 (1).JPEGFirst Pictures 2-16-20 (4).JPEGFirst Pictures 2-16-20 (5).JPEG1995 SPX Cylinder (2).JPEG

Nice to have this one in the shop. I'm motivated. :) Pulled the old engine today and took it apart. Then took the "X" to the car wash and got busy. It is cleaned up and ready for the engine. I have a buddy that loves before and after pictures so I always take them. It's just dirt, I tell him it's got nothing to do with the resto. PTO cylinder and piston have seen better days. I guess I'll junk the engine. Who uses a 657X any longer??

SPX Roe 2-20-20 Dirty (2).JPEGSPX Roe 2-20-20 Clean (1).JPEGSPX Piston Engine (1).JPEGSPX Piston Engine (2).JPEGSPX Mag Stator.JPEGSPX Piston Engine (1).JPG

That cleaned up really nice Clark.

2486372bb6125e24ab91d6803274f9ab.jpg

Any chance you could get by with just a top-end?

Sure did and the ones you think are gonna be difficult.... cooperate. When they look like this I just gotta take them to the next level. :) Miki how fast is this ski gonna run. 48 ?

What is so special about a single gauge hood? Is this one of the sought after ones? What color white paint matches the engine? Was it Rusteum, Antquie White ?? Been a while since I bought it. Anybody have a match for the Seadoo purple?

SPX Hood (1).JPEGSPX Hood (2).JPEGSPX Engine Assemble Paint (1).JPEGSPX Engine Assemble Paint (2).JPEG

The exact match used to be the Vlaspar Light Dune and Sumptuous Purple but Lowes no longer sells it so I am not sure anymore.

As far as top speed it really should do low 50's since the "X" engine is 80HP and a 720 is only 85HP and does low to mid 50's.

When I find that stuff I'm gonna post it.

As for top speed... must be the density altitude down here. I don't often get posted speeds on the skis. Seem like we were always down a couple MPH. :) Gonna be interesting here in next month. Gene's gonna be riding A LOT. :)

These engine parts were pitiful and took quite a while to remove the oil, corrosion and peeling paint. I should buy a sand blaster but I don't like them for the mess they make, clogging due to high humidity, etc... but I'll have to do something. All work is comin to a halt... It's Mardi Gras !!!! :) Engine Parts Paint 657X (2).JPEGEngine Parts Paint 657X (3).JPEGEngine Parts Paint 657X (4).JPEGEngine Parts Paint 657X (8).JPEG

Ok Ok... now it's Mardi Gras Break. :D Dang there is a lot of cleaning up and fixing on these things... LOL Like RAGU that Bay Bee... it's in there. :D :D Let the fun begin. :D D: Touchdowns everyone !!!

LiSPX Roe Engine Install (3).JPEGSPX Roe Engine Install (1).JPEGSPX Roe Engine Install (2).JPEG

Well I started back up on this ski last week due to Hurrican Laura. It has been sitting since Late Feb. This ski is inside and out of the seather and it would be nice to have more room so that is my motivation. :) Engine alignment was way off so I got that fixed up and am moving forward. I went through the carbs (they've been gone through previously more than once :) ), replaced the fuel tank, and am giving some love to the jet pump. :D Won't be long before this one is ready for the water. Not many people realize how much work it is to make these skis look nice as well as run like they should and this poor thing was terrible. I really like these skis without the DESS. I'm sure this one will be fun to ride. Lots of cleaning and painting.

Engine Parts Paint 657X (2).JPEGRoe's Ski Final Work (1).JPEGRoe's Ski Final Work (3).JPEGRoe's Ski Final Work (6).JPEGRoe's Ski Final Work (5).JPEG

Made a little more headway today. Sure couldn't make a living at this but it is a fun hobby. These skis would never run on the water again. Got the jet pump looking good all installed and ready to go. Exhaust mounted just one more pipe to clean paint and install. Next the battery and some fuel. :) Then... more cosmetic work. This is gonna be a fun ski !!

Roe Ski Jet Drive Engine Final (2).JPEGRoe Ski Jet Drive Engine Final (6).JPEGRoe Ski Jet Drive Engine Final (8).JPEG

Looking REALLY GOOD!

The single gauge hood is sought after because of the cleaner/sleeker look and race teams used the exclusively. I have one for my '98 SPX. But I haven't put it on yet. No Mardi Gras going on here out west. But some items have to take a back seat. My '98 SPX has 2 mirrors and 3 gauges in the stock form. Horribly ugly and heavy. Bought mine from a member.

But keep up the good work! Shines up like a new penny!

"Who uses a 657X any longer?"

Dude, that hurts.........

How fast will it go? MY 94 xp with THE AWESOME 657X (capital X thank you) will hit right at 50. I put in a 271000454 impeller and it gives me the best all around running with 6500 to 6600 top rpm's.

I thought about putting a smaller hood on my machine. But when I ride sitting on the hood the mirrors make a good place to lock your legs around. When I'm really mellow the flat top makes it perfect to sit cross legged so I can do my yoga (yeah right) while cruising the river.

Last edited:
Finished up most of the work today. That sucker wouldn't start for anything. LOL Turned over great. I went back and checked the timing on the Rotary valve but I always get those spot on. , I was getting good fire but it would not even pop once. Always good to back and check things though. I purchase a used bottom end for the ski and after bulding the engine and installing it have not touched it since Feb . :) Anyway... the only place left to look was the Mag flywheel and timing there and... since I pay really close attention to this critical processes during assembly I couldn't see an issue. I was thinking I got the wrong parts in there and wondered How I was gonna get the correct numbers and all that. :D So.... I did some reasearch on flywheel numbers figuing there may be more than one flywheel for the 657X. I was going to reaserch further but I found another flywheel in my parts pile for the ski. Since the numbers were different, I placed them side by side and the orientation of the magnets were different so... I just decided to swap the flywheel out and give it a shot. Ski started right up immediately. LOL

Last edited:
As mentioned above...I went to the shop to check numbers at at 11:00pm and of course got carried away. I finished up at 1am. LOL It is nice like being retired. I think I'll take a nap before I got out to do more tweaking. :) Carry on. :D

Took the ski out to the water for break-in and checks. I removed the rear traction mat from the ski and drilled out the rivets. and didn't realize how often the rear section of the ski is under water. That explained the water I was getting inside the hull. :D One thing really chapped by azz was the hood latch broke and I couldn't open it. Good thing I didn't put my truck keys in there. I hate them damn latches. Is there a prescribed method for getting those things separated without tearing up the ski??

Ski ran very well. A little warm for my taste but it was an initial break-in. I'm bringing my infra red thermometer on my next ride. I tell ya... I love these small skis. Too much fun and when they don't have DESS it is that much better. :)

Test ride load and  water test prep (1).JPEGTest ride load and  water test prep (2).JPEGTest ride load and  water test prep (1).JPG

Took the ski out today for the second break-in period. I'm not happy with the water flow even though the engine isn't all that hot. I'll be doing more research. I read the fittings need certain oriface sizes so I"ll give that another look. The main water cooling line enters the ski through the exhaust so... I'll start there.

Lock One  1995 SPX 9-9-20 (1).JPEGLock One  1995 SPX 9-9-20 (2).JPEGLock One  1995 SPX 9-9-20 (3).JPEGLock One  1995 SPX 9-9-20 (4).JPEG

Did the clean up and checks to the water cooling system. I went through the fittings and matched sizes. It would be nice to have a list of fittings, the numbers and where they go. I took measurements from the Repair manual and it all looked close enough to me. I was just concerned that the coolant flow wasn't a whole lot coming out the back tattletale. Some spray hard and with everything new I expected that. To it out again today. I love these little skis. Too much fun !!

I could spend a few more $$ making it nicer but it looks pretty good. 1995 SPX Final Clean Up (2).JPEG1995 SPX Final Clean Up (3).JPEG1995 SPX Final Clean Up (4).JPEG1995 SPX Final Clean Up (5).JPEG1995 SPX Final Clean Up (6).JPEG1995 SPX Final Clean Up (7).JPEG1995 SPX Final Clean Up (8).JPEG

I don't know if you've tried it, but that rear grab handle cleans up nicely with non-chlorinated brakleen and a rag. I have a 95 SPI with an orange handle I've been working on. Spray the rag not the part and start wiping.

Thanks guys but the rear grab handle is "done." It is very soft and has lots of gouges. I think I have a black one laying around someplace. It'd be cool to find the correct color. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back