1995 seadoo xp shut down and wont start....help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxrider9239

hey guys! my friend bought a 95 seadoo xp 720 and us and a couple other friends went out in the bay the other day. He was riding perfect for a good 10 or 15 minutes and then all of a sudden his ski just shutoff, no loud banging noises but he heard something but wasnt sure of what it was. Any way he tried starting it and it wouldnt turn over so we took it back removed the pump and that was fine. then we tried cranking the motor and nothing just a loud click. and we cant turn the pto easily at all (almost impossible):mad: Is it a bad starter? i know he didnt run out of oil, he was still good on that but help is definitely accepted from all!!!
Thanks Guys!

Just because the oil tank was full doesn't mean that the motor was getting oil.

Have you pulled the head off yet to view the pistons????

I assume that it wouldn't crank either when he tried to restart it.

Try a couple of things before you pull the head. Remove the spark plugs, ground the spark plug cables, see it the motor will turn over. If not remove the starter, it's pretty easy to do on a 720. Then see if you can turn it over by hand at the PTO flywheel.

Lou

Added, I just thought of something, since this is a 95 it could be the carrier bearing, on the drive shaft.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I will definitely try everything i can before ripping the motor apart.... and its not the carrier bearing, i also thought it couldve been that but no, it did need to be replaced though lol

Sounds like the engine was not getting oil and might have heat seized when riding but permanently scarred pistons and rings and cylinders therefore hard to turn by hand...very bad...where in new york are you guy???

Sounds like the engine was not getting oil and might have heat seized when riding but permanently scarred pistons and rings and cylinders therefore hard to turn by hand...very bad...where in new york are you guy???

You manned up Mano. I read this a while back but didn't want to tell the nice fellow that he blew up his ski.

after we took it out we used about half a quart of oil but dont worry about giving me bad news, the more info and help the better! and im located on long island in lindenhurst

update! we finally got a nice window to look at it again and the motor is pretty difficult to turn by hand like you said mano...is there anything else to do or should we just give up on it??

Try a couple of other things, I could be the pump is seized, so go ahead and remove the pump, you need to remove the pump to remove the motor. Also have you check the seal carrier on the driveshaft?

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back