1995 Seadoo XP 720 vs. 1996 Seadoo XP 800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kthurman

Has anyone owned these two XP's that would be able to weigh in on how much more powerful the 800 feels in the water? I own the '95 XP and have a chance to upgrade to the '96 XP, but he's asking for a lot in return. What are your thoughts? How much better is the 800's performance?

In the 800 cc class in racing,(stock or modified), there are no 720's.,,and you say "he" is asking a lot in return?,,,not sure what that means,,,maybe I have missed the beginning of the thread?

Yeah I didn't specify what he was asking for as part of the trade. He wants basically a 2 for 1, meaning two older Seadoo XPs ('92 and' 95) for his one.

I was just wondering if there was a big difference between the 1995 XP with the 720 engine (with the partially white hull) vs. the upgraded 800 (all yellow and black hull). It might very well be worth it, but don't know. The 95 I have is very fun.

The 720 engine put out 85 hp vs the 800 putting out 110 hp. I have a 96 xp and gsx and both have the 800. Very fun skis. As far as 2 for 1 trade? That's your call.

Thanks. My '95 is a blast too.

Have you ridden the smaller engine though? HP on paper is very different than HP on the water. The displacement (720 vs 800) is not too far off. If it's noticeably different, then the 2-for-1 is worth it to me. I got them all for cheap anyway and fixed them up.

I have ridden both, the 96 xp is significantly faster out of the hole and has a lot more mid-range torque. It is definitely better as far as speed and acceleration goes. The biggest downside would be that the 96 xp is more complicated than the 95 xp 720, but that's minor if you are mechanically inclined and keep up with routine maintenance.

So I currently have both of those skis, and the difference is pretty significant. The 96XP is much quicker accelerating than the 95, and has much better throttle response due to the smaller pump volume than the 95. The downside is it is a bit more maintenance, and that same pump volume issue that makes the 787 ski respond quicker also makes the 717 ski have a bit more control authority since it’s got more leverage on the hull. I don’t know that I would trade 2-for-1 for the upgrade, but it’s definitely enough difference to be noticeable...

I have not been on a 720 ski. Only ones i have had were the 94 gtx wit a 657x, my 94 speedster with twin 657x, my 2000 gtx 951 and my 96 xp and gsx. Tooling around with my wife, the gsx and the 2000 gtx are a nice match. She's happy at half throttle and I'm doing circles around her. Seems that the 720 was a transition point between the 657x and the 800 that had it's place for a lower speed ski and easier maintenance.

The 657X was the transition engine. It’s a great motor, but it was only in production for two years. With that said, I think a good running 657X is actually just a bit quicker on the top end than the same ski with a 717. The 717 is more reliable though, and has a bit more bottom end than the 657X.

Is it a yellow top deck and black bottom? If so, thats a 99 SPX. If its in good condition then I would probably trade a 95XP720 and older small motor ski for it.
I think he’s referring to the all yellow hull with the black rub rail and grab handle. I do love the look of the 99SPX though, so I’d probably jump on that offer as well...

A true 95XP800 should be all yellow on top, and then yellow on the front half, and pink on the back half of the bottom hull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back