1995 Seadoo GTX - Exhaust manifold bolts stripped inside the cap screw heads

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aug

Hi - I have a 1995 GTX, and I need to remove the exhaust manifold. I have 3 more cap screws to remove and have found that the metal is soft to the point that the hex key socket has stripped them internally (inside the head) and I can't remove them. I though about removing the engine from the jetski to see if that would help, but I'm not sure.

Anyone have advice on how to remove the cap screws stripped inside the heads?

bolts on seadoo.JPG

How about an easy out? I've used them on frozen bolts with broken off heads after drilling a hole, you'd have to make sure you have one that's a close OD to your stripped hex head ID, otherwise you might run out of depth without drilling deeper into the bolt before it bites.

This might just end up shearing the head of the bolt off anyway, but it's what I'd try next. It seems like you've got some real problem bolts if the hex head is stripping.
fb03e74c338643f58ae78288609aef82.jpg

You can try to grab them with vice grips, but you’re going to have a hard time getting them clamped on with enough force to break them loose. I’d try that before the easy out though. You could also try a bit of epoxy or jb weld in the recess if you’re willing to sacrifice a few Allen keys. Just be sure to use it sparingly so you don’t weld the bolt to the pipe. I’d mix the JB weld and then dip the tip of the hex key in it, and then put it in the bolt head and let it cure. You’re not going to be able to reuse those bolts anyway, so you might as well try that before you break out the drill.

Huh. Interesting. I didn't think about the sacrificial method of using JB Weld and a few hex key drivers. I don't mind using up a couple - the darn exhaust has to come off one way or another.

Good luck with that. My last one I cut the exhaust manifold up. You'd do well the just cut the heads off the bolts, remove the manifold and then you can put some penetrating oil into the threaded area and or use heat as necessary. I gotta tell you though... what is stuck is the body of the bolt inside the manifold. It likely is NOT the threads. Pull the engine and get busy. First you might try soaking with penetrating oil and and impact wrench. If it screws up the hex it wasn't going to come off anyway. I have fought several or these on jet skis and am a machinist by trade. I know a lot of tricks but you can't win when the aluminum calcifies around the bolt and locks it into place. Acetone and transmission fluid might work but it can't get to where it is needed. As I said... good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back