1994 XP looking at purchasing. Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MRMIKE007

New to jet skis. Was looking at a 94 XP. Marked as needs nothing, runs great, ready to go, low hours. I am an auto technician, strong mechanical background. What do I need to look for when checking out this unit? Seen lots of XP's blown up. What do i need to check for before making a purchase. Looking for a cheaper ski to get my feet wet and see how we like it. Thanks

Check the compression. Also, strongly advise a test drive on the water. Then you will find out in a hurry if it's turnkey or not.

Ck underneath for damage to the hull, ck the prop and ask if it's original, it could be replaced with a cheaper aluminum one. Clean in the hull? Gelcoat shiny? plastics rich and intact? bring a tester and check compression, ask to hear it run for a few minutes, if possible meet at a lake and go for a ride. Look for work done to the engine, paint on bolts chipped? or engine repainted (rebuild)? It's a dice roll buying a running 24 yr old ski, it could crap out first trip to the lake.

Keep in mind, people will lie their ass off, I got tired of catching people in lies looking at the "needs nothing, low hours" skis for a premium. I've bought 2 skis since last Summer and that were trashed and needed significant attention, I basically got them very cheap and I'm doing a resto, which is taking time. Hard for people to lie on a bad non running ski, you get what you get.

Last edited:
Alo keep in mind that is the oldest and least desirable hull. I hope they aren't asking very much as you can get much better skis for a little more than $1,000.

That 94 is a $800 ski at best, $1,500 is way too much. GSX is a good relatively stable 2 seater. THe 1996-1997 has the more reliable 787 engine the 1998-1999 has the less reliable 951.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back