1993 sea doo GTX, looking for a bit of advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shillzza

So i just bought a sea doo gtx 580 1993, im new to sea doos and im hoping i didnt get screwed over.
So when i start it up everything seems fine til i start to move, revs will pick up but the craft has no power, i can go maybe 2mph before it revs out. It will then bog out and theres zero power. I have to kinda tap the throttle to get the revs up slightly when this happens. He told me everything is in good condition, he said theres only 10 hours on the motor rebuild. When i bought it and tested it this same thing happend. But it was -10c outside, he convinced me it has been sitting for a year and it must have been just bad gas or too cold outside Since it started fine and everything. I believed him. Im hoping its just a easy fix but im hoping one of you fine gentleman have experience with these older doos and can just point me in the right direction on where to begin.
Thanks beforehand its greatly appreciated

I have put in new plugs and fresh gas, i was thinking it could have been too rich because the plugs where sloppy. So i changed the mix gas ratio from 40.1 to 50.1

50:1 is too lean.
Your carb is probably dirty and needs to be rebuilt with only Genuine Mikuni parts.

I would also check your impeller and wearing.

50:1 is too lean.
Your carb is probably dirty and needs to be rebuilt with only Genuine Mikuni parts.

I would also check your impeller and wearing.
Damn thats definitely not what i was hoping to hear lol, so 40:1 was correct, the plugs seemed very wet. I will keep updated and try to find some videos for carb rebuild and checking impeller

Damn thats definitely not what i was hoping to hear lol, so 40:1 was correct, the plugs seemed very wet. I will keep updated and try to find some videos for carb rebuild and checking impeller

My 96 SPI has the same 580 motor as your GTX and it was sunk 3 times and stored outside over the winter the year before I got it. I got lucky and got away with only cleaning the carb and getting a new needle and seat and finally got it running but it was bogging, turned out to be the wrong spring in the carb and when that was changed it finally ran fine. Whether you rebuild or get away with only a cleaning, make sure you do a popoff test because without that you may be repeatedly having issues and removing and re installing the carb trying to chase the issue like I was. You can build your own popoff tester for $10. Follow Miki's carb rebuild thread that's stickied on this forum.

Wow, your the man..im gonna be following this guide religiously. MK-BN38/44-SPR
that will even work on my older 1993 580 ? Il be searching for the kit all night online. Thanks for your help, is there any guides on here for checking the impeller and wear aswell?

My 96 SPI has the same 580 motor as your GTX and it was sunk 3 times and stored outside over the winter the year before I got it. I got lucky and got away with only cleaning the carb and getting a new needle and seat and finally got it running but it was bogging, turned out to be the wrong spring in the carb and when that was changed it finally ran fine. Whether you rebuild or get away with only a cleaning, make sure you do a popoff test because without that you may be repeatedly having issues and removing and re installing the carb trying to chase the issue like I was. You can build your own popoff tester for $10. Follow Miki's carb rebuild thread that's stickied on this forum.
Okay sweet, pop off test ive never heard of that. Lots of research to do. Thanks for your suggestions!

The really old ones had a different carb known as a round body but I think yours and all white 580’s have the super BN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back