'14 Whitetails

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

red2blue

This morning started off clear and cold...beautiful, especially after the frigid blast from yesterday. Got to my stand w/o kicking anything outa bed..always a good thing. Early...just as the sky was lightening behind me...I heard someone coming down the far hill opposite the creek. Listened to him make one long, low grunt. Yeah...sure...that'll bring all the deer right to you...idiot. Then I listened to him....somehow get across the neighbors fence...and back up the hill to the east...way too fast and quiet for a man. Dang...and I didn't even get a doe bleet out. Ah well...there may be something to do this mornin anyway.

An hr later I catch a glimpse of a small buck 70yds at my 12.....catch sight of him again as he makes his way passed the first shooting gap...gone. Another...this one a spike..maybe a fork...goes the same way. He's movin sneakier...don't see him after the first. Half an hr later the first buck shows in the second lane. He's a 6pntr...pretty lil rack..will be a nice one in 2-3yrs. He takes his time cruising on by....I lose sight of him to my 6 and comeback to the spike...he finally shows in the second lane..took him 30min to go 50yds...yeah..he's not a happy camper. He comes down to the bottom...don't like somethin and heads back into the mt laurel.

I hear somethin to my left and 15yds away coming to the edge of the pasture is a 3pntr. Musta come from the salt lick...wanted to rub his eyes in the bushes...then he calmly made his way back up the hill toward my old stand. I couldn't believe it...deer everywhere..and not a single doe.

The 6pt comes back nice and easy on the fence line. He takes his time...rubs a small tree. Kinda cool when you see them do that. Then makes his way on down the fence line toward the creek. Just as he reaches my 3o'clock...I hear something farther up the north hill...like lumber being beat on...once...twice...two, three more times. The 6pt has now turned around and faced the far hill. Nice and easy I swing my leg around to the right of my stand's seat frame so that I can bring my rifle to bear. Just as I ease into my new position a deer starts blowing across the way. Dang..I didn't see a thing...evidently he saw me though. After 15-20min of trying to locate a twitching ear I ease back toward the left. 6pt is gone...never heard him leave.

As I sip a lil coffee...still not feeling too bad...I'm warm today...extra clothes and toe warmers..."I can sit here all day at this rate" I thought to myself. Then I heard something to my 6o'clock. I look back toward my 5 as far as I can....nuthin....except the shadow of somethin moving, on the creek bottom! That means he's on the tree line to my 7o'clock! With my tree between me and whatever's moving I swing quickly to my left. Got worried when nuthin showed...then I heard him closer....45yds...he steps away from my back trail gonna go up the hill toward my old stand.

He didn't make it. Thought the shot was a bit low but it was a both shoulder/heart shot...he made 30yds back into the cedars.

Not the biggest. But it was one of my best days in the deer woods. 8pt dressed at 188lbs.

169.jpg

nice one there ......gees I miss hunting days .... can only use bow here unless ya pockets are as deep as the ocean... then you're still pretty restricted.

Thanks.

With a bow costing as much or more than a decent rifle, it'll be a while before I can get that purchase past the mrs.

Thanks.

it'll be a while before I can get that purchase past the mrs.
lol Red ... reckon my bow was around the 300 350 mark ...still waiting and looking for a place to get out for some pig goat hunting.. not allowed to hunt kangaroos here in south au sadly enough.

nice work not a lot white tails around hear this year I see more mule deer and moose lately out in the country. curios how old do you think he is body of a 4year old with the rack of a 2year. no tags for me this year still have a freezer full just some coyote hunting this winter for me.

nice work not a lot white tails around hear this year I see more mule deer and moose lately out in the country. curios how old do you think he is body of a 4year old with the rack of a 2year. no tags for me this year still have a freezer full just some coyote hunting this winter for me.

I figure this one's 3.5y.o. I think I got cam pics of him on last years list. Didn't see him during last season though. Lotsa hunters in my county, lotsa deer too. Seeing a deer over 5y.o is a rarity here...or it's on a big piece of land with little pressure.

I have land down in the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area in Ohio. We are tripping over deer in that park. Too bad you can't hunt in a national park.

Back