08 speedster or challenger se

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

NOS ZED

Im new to jet boats and cant decide on which to buy, the dealer is leading me to beleive that the challenger is under powered. any advice PLEASE

Hmmmmm,...more money?

Well, maybe he stands to make more money if he sells you the Speedster! To use the term, "under powered" is not a correct analogy. They both have the same engine. Least wise, the two I looked at. There are two model Speedsters, the 15' is available with the 215 or the 155 hp engines and the 20 foot with twin 215's. The Challenger has the 18' powered with the 215 and the 23' comes with twin 215's.

The Speedsters are considered "musclecraft" and the Challenger is considered "recreation". The Speedsters are less roomy and can't carry as many as the Challenger. The Challenger has more storage space for wake boards, skis' etc....and can handle the open water well while the Speedsters are like giant jet skis. They are smaller with a lot of power. They go airborne with ease of a small two foot white cap and land with grace. Rarely do you see them come down from the air with a sideways tilt. Great wave jumpers.....

Here, go see for yourself and compare. Why listen to me, you can read for yourself............http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/Products/SportBoat/Musclecraft/Speedster200/

sorry the speedster im refering to is the 150 215 horsy,my concern is pulling people out of the hole with four or 5 in the boat, if challenger will do this ,im in.

Challenger....

I have the 1997 model Challenger with the 787cc engine. I have no problems, using the VTS, in pulling someone behind me with 3 other people (my family) out of the water. In fact, when I get on plane, have to slow down.

So, I don't see why your choice of the Challenger would not have the ability to pull up a skier with a party of 5, using the 1497cc 4-TEC engine.

Let us know what you decide on. And go to the Seadoo website, click on the showroom and then, click on the boat. When the boat page opens, it'll give you the specs, that you have to download.

Good luck!.........:cheers:

I have been having the same thoughts lately, Speedster or Challenger? I like the extra room of the Challeger, and wouldnt really miss the power. However, it will not fit in my garage, and I really didnt want to spend the extra money. So, I thought my mind was made up, right. Wrong. I found the following leftover 07 Challenger for about the same price as the 08 Speedster im looking at. Take a look at these prices and let me know what you think.

Bret

http://psndealer.com/dealersite/images/coronamotorsports/weekly_ad.pdf

i have an 08 challenger se with about 30hrs on it. so far i've been tubing and wakeboarding with 5 in the boat and it comes out of the water with ease. you have the feather the throttle a little bit until it planes out, but that's about it. so far i'm very impressed with the motor in it. even with 8 people the boat still does 42mph. it's no rocket ship, but it's a whole lot of fun :hurray:

p.s. try to get somebody sitting in the front and cruise through about a 2 ft wave at 5-10mph. the waves literally crash on top of them :rofl:

I just purchased an '08 Challenger 180SE and aside from the fact that it was an early '08 model and my supercharger was not up to the '08 specs yet and caused me problems it's not all fixed and it flies. I had it out two days ago after getting it fixed and it pops out of the water and at 6k I was doing over 30mph. I just like how roomy it was over the Speedster. I'm a power junkie and my wife was stunned when I chose the Challenger over the 430hp Speedster. I just look back now and think maybe I should have gotten the 23' Challenger but this one sure is fun. :)

I just purchased an '08 Challenger 180SE and aside from the fact that it was an early '08 model and my supercharger was not up to the '08 specs yet and caused me problems it's not all fixed and it flies. I had it out two days ago after getting it fixed and it pops out of the water and at 6k I was doing over 30mph. I just like how roomy it was over the Speedster. I'm a power junkie and my wife was stunned when I chose the Challenger over the 430hp Speedster. I just look back now and think maybe I should have gotten the 23' Challenger but this one sure is fun. :)

how do you know if it is an early/late model and which supercharger washers are in there?

I'm not entirely sure .. must be something to do with the manufaturing date. From what I've been reading all '08's should have had metal instead of ceramic but I also ready that Seadoo probably used up what inventory of ceramic they had left on the early boats. I'd ask the dealer because from what I'm reading as well I might have gotten ceramic bits inside my motor which I haven't noticed yet but might down the road when they blew up. I don't know if it's only the Challengers or all early boat/ski models with superchargers. Seemed easy enough for them to check and repair once they new the problem. Maybe just preventative have them check the boat to confirm.

Ceramic washers?

The ceramic clutch washers are on the older SC and SCIC model 4-TEC's. There seems to be more of a "fear factor" on these than there is a real problem. They have had some problems with them, that's why they had changed the design to steel, which really are less efficient than the ceramic.

These washers are the "clutch" washers and allow slip in the charger during radical speed changes to the engine. The chargers rpm is up to 45,000 rpm. With these kind of turbine speeds, is a great amount of friction. Ceramic is 1,000 times more efficient in heat dissapation than steel. But because owner/operators were either switching over to the synthetic 4 stroke oils, they realized they had a problem.

The SC and SCIC models are suppose to use the mineral based XP-S type oils. That oil has been tested with the ceramic washers by the research and development department of Rotax and found to have the correct properities to reduce friction. Synthetic oil has additives that have an adverse effect on the composition of the ceramic clutch washers that in the past, has caused premature failure, so now, Rotax has gone back to the less efficient steel washers so that if an owner/operator uses the synthetic oil, they won't have to worry about the charger blowing up..........:cheers:

The ceramic clutch washers are on the older SC and SCIC model 4-TEC's. There seems to be more of a "fear factor" on these than there is a real problem. They have had some problems with them, that's why they had changed the design to steel, which really are less efficient than the ceramic.

These washers are the "clutch" washers and allow slip in the charger during radical speed changes to the engine. The chargers rpm is up to 45,000 rpm. With these kind of turbine speeds, is a great amount of friction. Ceramic is 1,000 times more efficient in heat dissapation than steel. But because owner/operators were either switching over to the synthetic 4 stroke oils, they realized they had a problem.

The SC and SCIC models are suppose to use the mineral based XP-S type oils. That oil has been tested with the ceramic washers by the research and development department of Rotax and found to have the correct properities to reduce friction. Synthetic oil has additives that have an adverse effect on the composition of the ceramic clutch washers that in the past, has caused premature failure, so now, Rotax has gone back to the less efficient steel washers so that if an owner/operator uses the synthetic oil, they won't have to worry about the charger blowing up..........:cheers:

I aways wondered why they used washers/a clutch on the sc and wondered if a solid hub would yield higher performance. I know they are a different design, but I have run several different types of blowers on high performance cars over the years and they held up just fine without a clutch. Just thinking out loud..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back