01 xp 951 Carb Clean

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t need to pressurize anything or pressure test anything.

Hose 2 in your picture is badly crimped and also has to have the restricted jet in it from the old hose.

Second there’s no reason to replace the old hoses as they don’t go bad.

As long as the pump pulls fuel from hose 2 and squirts it through the two nozzles into the tops of the carbs it’s fine. The only things that plug are the nozzles on the tops of the cards and the check ball in the pump.
I didn't see any restrictor jet in the old hose. (see attached picture) The old hoses were destroyed when they were disassembled, so thats why they are being replaced. Unless that white "T" has a restrictor in it, there was no restrictor that I saw.

Attachments

• 20190915_112349.jpg
    20190915_112349.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
No, the restrictor is in the single, lower hose that feeds the pump and is not in the picture you just posted

Gotcha, but I should be able to spray the little lines full of wd40 and hit the pump on the accelerator and have fluid come out the injectors? Right

the easiest way is to have a little cap of fuel and put the single suction hose into it. It should pull the fuel to the pump and squirt it into the carb.

the easiest way is to have a little cap of fuel and put the single suction hose into it. It should pull the fuel to the pump and squirt it into the carb.
I just tried that and nothing came out the outlet port it. Just to make sure I did this right, I hooked a basic 1/4" hose to the inlet and put that in the fuel, then I pumped. Was that the correct procedure?

The hose into the pump is 1/8” not 1/4” are you sure you are looking at the correct one?

The hose into the pump is 1/8” not 1/4” are you sure you are looking at the correct one?
Wait, I thought the 1/4" was inlet and 1/8" was outlet. If the 1/8" is inlet, I've been doing it backwards. I assumed the 1/8" went to the injectors and the 1/4" was inlet

Put the carbs on the table with the throttle down and the choke up....
There will be a small hose on the bottom that goes from the bottom of the carb to the bottom of the accelerator pump, this is the inlet to the pump and has the restrictor jet in it (Red circle Below).
The restrictor jet location is (In Yellow Below).
The pressure line that squirts into the carb is (in green below).

carb.jpg

Put the carbs on the table with the throttle down and the choke up....
There will be a small hose on the bottom that goes from the bottom of the carb to the bottom of the accelerator pump, this is the inlet to the pump and has the restrictor jet in it (Red circle Below).
The restrictor jet location is (In Yellow Below).
The pressure line that squirts into the carb is (in green below).

View attachment 44540
Well, I thought that was a tempo line so I replaced it with another hose. I guess I'll need to get a restrictor jet for the new hose?

Well, I pulled the carb on the other ski that seems to be working. The accelerator acts the same in that one. Doesn't pull fluid like you're saying it's supposed to. Now I'm really confused, because that one starts pretty well

Its possible that both are clogged/stuck. The ski will still start and run without the accelerator pump, it will just lack performance when you pull the throttle and may stumble.

Yes you do have to put it in the hose. It just sits in there so if you have the correct size hose.

You have to have one. They only go in the single hose to the pump.

Your check valve in the outlet port must be stuck or clogged
Well, my mechanic got it unclogged, but it apparently destroyed the valve

Hopefully I can just buy a replacement red valve in the accelerator. I don't see it as a single part on the diagrams

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190926-193743_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20190926-193743_Messages.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Bummer that the inlet check valve got destroyed. It looked good in your earlier pic. If carb cleaner was used on it, that could have done it.
Let us know if you are able to find replacement parts. I'd like to know of a source in case mine ever goes bad.

Just an appreciative and happy update here.

I've never worked on engines before and I only got here thanks to this forum, so thank you all. Especially, @FL-Rider @mikidymac.

After all the many suggestions, I rebuilt the carb and unplugged the accelerator pump and the injectors on the carb body. While the ski was open, I replaced all the original tempo lines in the ski (that was the worst part of this whole project) While I had the tank accessible, I pumped out the old fuel and put new/ fresh fuel in, changed the fuel filter, oil filter and put new xps oil in. I tested it on hose water and i had water coming out of the main jet so I'm hopeful it will work in the lake.

Since i pulled the carb on my other, identical ski, i actually used that accelerator pump (once I unclogged it) while i wait for a replacement umbrella check valve that was destroyed in my original accelerator pump.

Anyway, long post to say thank you all got all your help. I was actually surprised when it fired up as I had rebuilt the carbs and re-ran all the fuel lines and I was feeling a little depressed and out of my league. But I definitely couldn't have gotten the workout the forum, so thank you.

I'm glad you got it running... Where did you find the red check valve replacement? I searched everywhere and couldn't find them. I could find the pump diaphragms, but not the check valves.

I found a square accelerator pump assembly at OSD, but its for the 40i carbs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back