Yellow 587

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

needforspeed

Speed Limiter on the Yellow 587 ?

Hello all,
I have a question, I see on the parts manual behind the Ignition cover where the cdi and coil go, there is a "speed limiter". I am rebuilding two 587 engines but niether have them on it. I am thinking someone took them off. Was this needed? or was it there to protect the engine from high RPM's from wave jumping and what not. If it is removed will I still get spark? Or is this yet another part I am going to have to buy? :banghead: :confused:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...o_oem/Seadoo_PWC.asp?Type=18&A=1&B=7&Action=O

It is the # 9 in the picture

Last edited by a moderator:
rev limiter is built into the cdi/mpem. i know of company (micro-touch), they make a unit to increase the rev limiter....Quite not sure, what ur ask'n...

Thanks for the reply. What I am asking is, on the microfish the part labled 9 says it is a "speed limiter" On the actual engine there is no such part. So either someone removed it or it isn't there. Now it is only on the 1989 587 not on the 1990. I am putting theses engines back together and gathering parts so I just want to see what they are for.

Yes you will have to get a rev limiter. All Sea-Doo's with the yellow engine (88-91) have a separate rev limiter. In 92, they came out with the white engine and a completely different electrical system and an MPEM that has an internal rev limiter.

Chester

will it run without one? I am thinking someone along the line removed it to make it faster? I don't know why...someone had put a totla loss ignition on there ...that had to cost some money. You couldn't relly race these things out could you? Just wondering if it will run without it. On the microfishe it shows this "speed limiter" for the 89 but not for the 90.

You didn't say it had total loss. yes it will run if it has total loss.

Chester

it HAD a total loss. It didn't work anymore so I am putting it back to stock. I have two of these engines and niether have this "speed Limiter" That the microfish is showing. I just want to get the ignitions correct when I reassemble these things.

OK gotcha. Yes you will have to put a rev limiter in there for it to run.

Chester

Hey guys,

I just checked the ol' wiring diagram and it looks as though the 89 and 90 both call for a "speed limiter". They have Brown (ground), Red, and Black wires going into it. On the '89 model they are grounded to frame (?) and on the 90 it grounds to the solenoid. Now, the speed limiter is connected to the buzzer which is also wired in series to the engine stop switch and tether cord switch. :confused: Under first examination, I'd say that if the speed limiter is "tripped" then it'll shut the engine down - much like safety switches do.

I don't mean to contradict anyone but it looks as though the engine will still run if the sensor is disconnected - just you won't get any warning or engine cancelling if the engine over rev's.

I have to double check and look at it closer, but that's my guess.

Incidentally, I have a 90 as well, but she's still wrapped up in storage for another week or two.

Cheers!
--FWD

*UPDATE*
After a little more reading, the manual does state that a "no start" could be a defective RPM Limiter. Back to some more reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks fresh water doug. I will keep an eye on the thread. I was seeing it on the microfiche for the 89 but it wasn't on the actual engine. When I look at the microfiche for the 90 it doesn't even show one. So that is why I was asking.

I have a 90 GT and the rev limiter is a black thing about the size of the bottom of a pop can. It is mounted to the top of the brain box (inside). I'm pretty sure i has a 3 wire hook up. I have an old rev limiter that was replaced. Next time im at my cottage, i'll get you the part #.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back