WTB SeaDoo boat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBSufer

Hello to All,
New to this site, and in the market for a boat. Would welcome any and all input from members that own, and repair their boats. I live on the Nor Cal coast and would use the boat almost 100% in salt water to reach surf breaks. Have been researching the Mercury powered boats, and would like to hear feedback on salt water use.
Thanks in advance.

merc boats have a bad rap and have a few issues... if your going to be doing most of your running in salt water, you might wanna go ahead and invest a little more and get a 4-tech with closed loop cooling. just my 2 cents.

merc boats have a bad rap and have a few issues... if your going to be doing most of your running in salt water, you might wanna go ahead and invest a little more and get a 4-tech with closed loop cooling. just my 2 cents.

The mercury motors only have a "bad rap" with people who have no or little experience with them. If you have a couple of minutes to flush the motor out with a garden hose when you get back from a day out on the water then salt water will cause you no problems. Even if you don't flush it out everytime, the cooling water drains out of the motor when you pull it out of the water. But flushing a salt water motor is something very basic that gets done on every salt water outboard.

The mercury powered jets are great packages. Easy maintenance, power to weight ration that's hard to beat. It'd be awesome if more boat manufacturers used them. Yes they have a problem here and there but what engine doesn't?

The mercury motors only have a "bad rap" with people who have no or little experience with them.

I agree, and disagree. So... here's my thoughts....

The bad:

1) They are expensive to work on, when there is a problem
2) On the 2001-1/2 and earlier engines... there is a plastic gear that drives the oil pump. It's known to fail.
3) They are expensive to work on.

The Good:

1) They run trouble free for +10 years !!!!!!!
2) Parts are EASY to get !!
3) The engine and drive is easy to work on.
4) Self draining cooling system.
5) They are salt approved, but you still need to do your cleaning/flushing after a day.
6) Very smooth running for a 2-stroke.
7) great customer support. I called about the oil gear during my rebuild, and I got a call back, and the guy on the phone was GREAT !!! even though, I was not the original owner, and it was WAY out of warranty.

OK... with that said... the reason they got a bad rap is because:

1) Seadoo used them for about 5 years... and when they discontinued the system... they also killed the support. (like, the next day) That pissed off a bunch of their customers. BUT... if you get one... just go to a Merc approved boat shop. (almost forget that it's a seadoo, because the dealers wont work on them)

2) As above, they run trouble free for 10 years. The issue now is all the seadoo/Merc boats are approaching that age. SO... they are starting to loose engines. If you buy one, and the engine has not been rebuilt... assume you will need to do it in the next year or two. Personally... If I bought a used boat, and it had a good running, original engine... I would take it apart, and do a basic rebuild before it has a melt-down. (it will be cheaper)

Just some random thoughts. If you find something... let us know.

Just an FYI...

I'm really not sold on Seadoo's "Closed loop" cooling. Personally... I think it just adds expense, weight, and more maintenance to the boat or Ski. Besides... they still run lake/ocean water through the exhaust... so you are still putting salt water into the system... and it still needs flushed out at the end of the day.

I really think they need to remove the system, and take the $$$ off the price tag. I love seadoo's... but I would have a hard time buying a new one. In my book... there are too many negatives. (unfortunately, Yamaha is on my short list for a new ski)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back