Would this damage cause issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k_dog345

I’m working on rebuilding the carbs on my 96 spx, I noticed this damage on the oil injection pump. Would this cause issues? What would be the symptoms?Image1589744510.577078.jpg

Your engine ingested something. How does the rotary valve and cases look.

That can cause hard starting and poor performance.

Also, I believe the previous owner installed these gaskets. Are they necessary? Should I bother replacing them? They look good to me but I am no expert Image1589745350.733042.jpg

Your engine ingested something. How does the rotary valve and cases look.

That can cause hard starting and poor performance.

Ugh. Was afraid of that. Is this something that should be replaced? There is some damage on the rotary valve

View attachment 47991

I do have some damage on the case..... but maybe I can getaway with just replacing the rotary valve cover? I don't think I'm willing to drop a grand to replace the case :( damn it this sucks!!!

Last edited:
Prior to the ski running poorly after sitting for long, I had no issues starting it. Even when I got it back out, it started up pretty good. But obviously, I was having performance issues which lead me to start rebuilding the carb. Hopefully this damage is not contributing to it.... I'm on the fence about replacing it, or leaving it and seeing what happens.

I would replace the cover and SBT sells them.
And yes absolutely replace the carb base gaskets and never reuse them. The last thing you want is an intake air leak.

I would replace the cover and SBT sells them.
And yes absolutely replace the carb base gaskets and never reuse them. The last thing you want is an intake air leak.

Thanks man for such a quick response..... when replacing the rotary valve cover, do I also need to plan on replacing the o ring as well?

I guess what I'm most confused about, are there supposed to be gaskets between the carb and flame arrestor too? I bought base carb gaskets from seadoo warehouse for a ridiculous price of $30... but now I'm not sure if I need more gaskets (on top of the o rings for the rotary valve).
unnamed.jpg

I guess what I'm most confused about, are there supposed to be gaskets between the carb and flame arrestor too? I bought base carb gaskets from seadoo warehouse for a ridiculous price of $30... but now I'm not sure if I need more gaskets (on top of the o rings for the rotary valve).
View attachment 48011
NO, there are no gaskets between the carbs and the flame arrestor. Only carb base gaskets between the carbs and the engine (always use NEW gaskets and Locktight 242 (blue) & tighten the bolts evenly and torque accordingly....20Nm = 15 lbf-ft)

NO, there are no gaskets between the carbs and the flame arrestor. Only carb base gaskets between the carbs and the engine (always use NEW gaskets and Locktight 242 (blue) & tighten the bolts evenly and torque accordingly....20Nm = 15 lbf-ft)

Thanks a bunch for getting me straightened out. First time rebuilding carbs, getting in a bit over my head but I’m learning so much. Hopefully I’ll be back on the water soon parts are on the way to me now!

Yes you need a new o-ring for the rotary valve cover, do not reuse an old one.
The factory used Loctite 515/518 on the air cleaner base, no gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back