Worst year ever?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pawn

Not sure what it's like elsewhere but in Southern Ontario this has been the worst Spring I can remember. It should be mid 20s by now (about 80 for the uninitiated) and it's barely reached 20 a couple of times so far and the long term forecasts don't look any different. Also rainy and windy always. Basically Anti-Sea-doo weather with no end in sight.

I've had my machine out once just to get its juices flowing and it was horrible. Last year by this time I was probably out 15 times by now with mostly great conditions.

Is this just my area or is this a broader trend?

Last edited:
Yes, it is also the worse summer I have seen since 1992 when Mount Pinatubo erupted causing a chilly summer where the temperature never crossed the 30 Celsius mark in the entire summer. In 1992, we had dark skies all summer with anemic temperatures.

But so far, 2019 seems even worse. Same thing here in Quebec northeast of Ottawa. We had really one nice weekend last weekend where temperatures reached 30 Celsius on Sunday. In all my life, I never had to heat up the house past June 1st but this year, I am still heating it as of today (I had air conditioning turned on only once, last Sunday). A day like today temperature is only 14 here (58 F) while it should be 25 C.

As for water temperature, it was still below 10 degrees Celsius just two weeks ago (48 degrees Fahrenheit). Now it is barely flirting with 15 degrees C (60 F).

Between clouds and dark days like today (actually, it is so dark that my dusk to dawn spots are still on midday), I managed to ride a little bit but putting the ski in the water is always so cold for the body (I have wet suit boots and always ride with a coat on).

As for broader, yes, North East feel it too but since it is more south, temperature are a bit more acceptable (a friend of mine is in Lake Champlain NY).

Yes, it is also the worse summer I have seen since 1992 when Mount Pinatubo erupted causing a chilly summer where the temperature never crossed the 30 Celsius mark in the entire summer. In 1992, we had dark skies all summer with anemic temperatures.

But so far, 2019 seems even worse. Same thing here in Quebec northeast of Ottawa. We had really one nice weekend last weekend where temperatures reached 30 Celsius on Sunday. In all my life, I never had to heat up the house past June 1st but this year, I am still heating it as of today (I had air conditioning turned on only once, last Sunday). A day like today temperature is only 14 here (58 F) while it should be 25 C.

As for water temperature, it was still below 10 degrees Celsius just two weeks ago (48 degrees Fahrenheit). Now it is barely flirting with 15 degrees C (60 F).

Between clouds and dark days like today (actually, it is so dark that my dusk to dawn spots are still on midday), I managed to ride a little bit but putting the ski in the water is always so cold for the body (I have wet suit boots and always ride with a coat on).

As for broader, yes, North East feel it too but since it is more south, temperature are a bit more acceptable (a friend of mine is in Lake Champlain NY).

Weird that you said a couple of things:

- I remember 1992 well. It was the year of no Summer and I literally was going to say "the worst year since 1992" instead of "the worst year ever" but I assumed no one would know what I meant.

- great to hear Lake Champlain is faring better since we have a room booked at North Hero House with dock access for late July for a couple of nights on our way to Nova Scotia. Hoping for good weather like last year.

Are you bringing you ski with you? I hope to visit my friend too in Lake Champlain in July and have a few rides there.

Are you bringing you ski with you? I hope to visit my friend too in Lake Champlain in July and have a few rides there.

Yes for sure. North Hero House (on the Vermont side) has a few rooms right on the water with dock parking right in front of your veranda. It's pretty nice. We did it last year and I think we'll be splitting up our annual trip out east to see my parents by visiting here for a night or two from now on. The way home last year we stayed in Old Quebec City which was equally nice (although no water :). Probably do that from now on as well. Side trips turn an excruciatingly long drive into a fun drive with little mini vacations each way so we love it.

The weather made a spectacular turn around in the past two weeks! We are in a very hot streak (I will not complain)! Seems like the Jet Stream current finally took back its normal shape (we were stuck in a "blob").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back