First Impressions - Brand New Speedster 150 255HP (2010 model year leftover)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramair350

I have been a "lurker" for a few months, and have learned and read tons of great information, so thanks to all of you who have contributed. Long story short, with all of my reading, you have lead me to purchase a brand new Speedster 150, 255HP model, that is leftover 2010 stock. I figured I will probably be one of the last owners who gets to have an impression of a brand new Sea Doo boat, so I wanted to share my thoughts :)

I bought the boat as brand new but leftover stock from a dealer in Ohio (which I will not name). Long story short - worst buying experience of my life. I would have much preferred to buy locally, but they did not have any 255HP boats in the state (although amazingly my local dealer has a leftover 215HP brand new boat, but they are asking $20K for it, which is what I paid for my 255 including all dealer prep and delivery, and I got a 5 year warranty thrown in). Anyway, the boat was delivered with several inches of water (actually ice!) in the ski locker and engine compartment (and I was told it was still shrink wrapped ... not the case). It must have been sitting out in the elements for a couple of years, but I did get it completely cleaned up and sparkling like new.

So on to the boat ... I previously owned a 1998 Speedster (16 foot with the twin 2-smoke engines) that I bought used, and loved the boat. But it did porpoise like crazy, and the hull made a horrible cracking sound until I had it reinforced. I had to sell it when I moved across the country a few years back. I loved the 4 seat configuration on it, and I recently test drove a 2003 Speedster with the Mercury engine thinking I wanted to get that some size and configuration of boat. Well, let me say that I am SO glad that I ponied up for my new 150. It drives much better, feels much more stable, and is much much much faster out of the gate and top speed. And gas mileage is twice as good with my new boat (and I don't have to mess with 2 stroke oil). I did like my old boat, and considering the price range is much lower you can get on the water for much less money, but the experience with the new boat is awesome.

In fact, my new 150 is so fast I feel that I may have bought more power than I need. I am sure that the 150HP version is plenty fast ... probably faster than I would need 99% of the time, plus you don't have any supercharger woes. But I am an old performance guy be it cars or motorcycles, so I wanted something that has more power than I need ... this is a toy after all! So for the numbers guys out there, my boat does 60MPH on the GPS with wife, dog, and gear. That was with cool weather, freshwater, no waves, and about 700 feet above sea level. It might go faster but I didn't want to keep the engine under much stress during break-in. I would imagine under perfect conditions it could squeek out 62 or 63 mph.

So I am now at 5 hours total on the boat, and have only used half a tank of gas. That is unbelievable to me. I have taken it very easy on the boat and spent a significant amount of time putting around and sight-seeing, and I know when it warms up and I want to get wet the miles per gallon will drop off. But overall I am thrilled with the fuel economy compared to my old twin engine boat.

I love the size of the boat. On the water it is small but fine. Without much chop, I have yet to get wet. I can park it in my garage, and it is light enough to where I can roll it around by hand (not easy, but certainly not difficult on level ground). Towing it is a breeze. It is absolutely perfect for my needs ... I didn't want a party barge, just something really fun that I can take out now and then with my wife. I stand about 6'2" and weight about 220lbs, but the cockpit fits me fine. I wouldn't want to be any taller, though.

There isn't much to gripe about. I do find it interesting that it idles at about 1700-1800 rpm, which seems really high. At idle speed it goes about 5mph, so to go slower you have to continuously put it in "nuetral". It greatly pains me to say but I put a lovely foot-long scratch in the gel-coat finish on the very bottom of the boat my first time out; I was idling along and hit a submerged rock. So in questionable waters you can bet I'm switching back and forth between "forward" and "neutral" to take things really slow. Also, the speedo was WAY the heck off, but I filled in the little gaps where the speed-sensor-wheel is with permatex and now it reads within 1MPH of my GPS at top speed.

So to recap, the performance is out of this world. It takes off like a sports car and plants you in the seat, and it gets up to 50MHP super quick. Again, in hindsight I think I would have been totally thrilled with the non-supercharged version (and I know my wife would prefer it to not be so fast, ha!). I look forwards to years of fun with this thing. Really is a shame that Sea Doo quit making them, because it is an incredible little craft.

Finally, THANKS again to all of you who have posted over the years, because I read hundreds if not thousands of postings on this site which lead me to my purchase!

Wow! Great write up, well I have all the impressions you do, but the highest I have taken my boat is only 35mph (with 4 people on board), that's without GPS so I have to go back and triple check it, I however did not go over 6500rpm in my first 10 hours, i currently have 11 hours) because remember the 10 hour break in period, they can deny your warranty, and you don't want to do that with a $6000 engine... :)

Anyways, I would have loved getting up that fast! That sounds awesome and so much fun. The turns and unmatched cornering goes to the speedsters, I don't think any other boat (even other Seadoos) can match it.

Totally agree with you about the fuel savings, it's absolutely amazing compare to my 95 sportster, I can't imagine 2 engines like your old boat. Also agree with the ease of towing and moving by hand by trailer, one of the reasons my grind never takes out her Yamaha 26footer, fuel consumption (she says $400 a day dammmmmm), and she says it's a hassle.. So I have to be ready for that when I step up to a bigger boat..

So Congratulations, and welcome!

ALSO PICTURES PLEASE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments! Yes @cheappc, when I first took the boat out I was seeing 35 on the speedo, and it felt like we were at warp speed. Turns out we were cranking along at 45! I wouldn't be surprised if your boat has the same deal. Good idea to keep an eye on the RPMs, I have kept mine under 6K almost the whole time; good point on the warranty, those motors aren't cheap. So you had a '95 Sportster ... I remember seeing those, looked like a really fun little boat (the true predecessor to ours, right?). It has been a long time, but I believe that I seeing one of those in action is what triggered my interest in the whole Sea Doo thing.

It is a small boat - no doubt about it. Which for me has more pros than cons. If I had more garage space (or property to park it) I would have considered a Challenger 180, because that is a heck of a nice "real" boat crammed in that size. Probably much better for all day cruising and comfort, but I'll just be doing a few hours here and there, and the ability to get a boat that would still allow my wife's car to fit in our small 2-car garage was part of the deal :) But yes, a much bigger boat (Yama 26'!) I'm sure is a blast and super nice to have on the lake all day, but fuel $s (wow, $400 in a day? ouch!), towing, and parking are downsides. And they aren't cheap either off the showroom!

I need to take some pictures ... all the ones I have were documenting minor cosmetic imperfections that I found when the boat was delivered. I'm over that now ... still want to keep it sparkling like new, but I accept that a few scuffs and scratches will come with using the boat.

One thing that I like about the design of the boat is that the driver's seat is so far back. My old '98 Speedster had a nice configuration for passengers (more like a 4 person "sports car" setup"), but the main driver and passenger sat so forward on the boat that you really felt the porpoising and waves much more. My new Speedster rides much better, at least when you are sitting in one of the 3 side-by-side seats. For myself and one other rider, the new boat is much much better. If you have 4 adults though, my old Speedster had the better layout (but again, it was much slower!).

And one more thing that comes to mind that I didn't mention in my writeup ... my new Speedster seems to suck much more stuff in through the intake than my old twin engine Speedster. Plus my old boat had the little intake grates that you could raise and lower while you were in the boat, so if it got clogged you could mess with those and free up grass / etc. Perhaps it is because the new boat engine is so much more powerful and pushes that much more water through than my old twins ... just seems that on my main lake nearby (which has lots of grass / growth) it really pulls in the weeds. But thanks to a few tricks that I read on the forum, cleaning it out while on the water hasn't been an issue. You just have to be really careful in shallow water that has small rocks, because I can see that you could do some damage easily if you sucked that stuff in.

Sorry for the long post, but one LAST thing comes to mind that I am a little concerned about. I went to inspect the impeller and intake area, and all looked fine EXCEPT the impeller drive shaft is covered with dime-sized surface rust spots. I'm guessing there are 10 or 20 little spots; looks like a leopard skin! Not sure if I need to do anything about that; I'm not worried about that being on the shaft but I would hate to see the rust "spread" up into the boot where the shaft passes through the hull. Will keep an eye on it for sure. If anyone else has experience with that, let me know.

Wow I have been looking for this post, because you were absolutely right! lol, I GPSd my boat, doing 44mph when the speedometer said 34... so you were right on target... My speedo is off by 10mph down.

Also I guess the same thing just happened to me, I sucked up a branch, and my boat wouldnt rev up more than 3500rpm..., so your old boat would let you bring down the intake grate? thats awesome.. they should have done that with our newer boats...

What color scheme did you get?

any pictures?

Wow I have been looking for this post, because you were absolutely right! lol, I GPSd my boat, doing 44mph when the speedometer said 34... so you were right on target... My speedo is off by 10mph down.

Also I guess the same thing just happened to me, I sucked up a branch, and my boat wouldnt rev up more than 3500rpm..., so your old boat would let you bring down the intake grate? thats awesome.. they should have done that with our newer boats...

What color scheme did you get?

any pictures?

I've same issue in my 2011 C180SE. It never shows over 34 but on gps, I've seen 44-45mph. I tested on gps over memorial weekend with 4 guys including me. We hit 41 with 3/4 throttle

Samsung S4...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back