wont kick over

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Olive

Hi everyone .Hope someone can help.Just put a starter motor in my 2000 rx seadoo ski and when you try to start it it stutters like its got a flat battery but the battery is fresh.
Wont even crank with the plugs out.
Any help would be muchly appreciated
cheers
Ricard

if by the battery being fresh, that means you charged it, the battery could still be bad even if it is showing good voltage. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have the battery load tested so you can officially rule it out before you end up going nuts testing everything else only to find out later it was the battery all along. Just a thought...

No the battery is good it starts another ski real easy.
Had the same sort of problem with the old starter which was rusted up.
if your lucky enough every now and then it will crank but when you try again it just stutters and clicks

No it had much the same problem but the old starter was rusted up pretty bad.
Every now and then it will kick over but when you try again a minute later it just stutters and clicks.
Could it be the starter solenoid ?

sounds like the starter has bad brushes that is the only thing other than a low battery that would make it shutter every now and then

if your starter was all rusted up, there may be a good chance that your wires are corroded too. I'll assume you cleaned up the hot wire when you put the new starter in, but check the ground wire on the engine

sounds like the starter has bad brushes that is the only thing other than a low battery that would make it shutter every now and then

Hit the nail on the head... Doesn't matter if the starter looks like junk, rusted or anything else. The starter is sealed and only matters what the condition of the brushes are. Your tell tale of your problem is, it will barely turn the piston over the top of your stroke, but when you pull the plugs, it'll spin all day. This means you've lost the torque on your motor.

They make brush plates that you can purchase and just put it on, instead of changing the entire starter. But, to be on the safe side, not knowing the condition of the armature, I'd replace the entire starter.......

Mate.If it wont crank with the plugs out,it could be a couple of things.Get a test meter on your battery first and and test it,fully disconnected.Then test it when you hook it back up.Check and double check the main battery leads.Especially the neg..Mine looked fine but up under the black insulation,it was green with corrosion.
If you are in Melb. go to the bigger hardwares(bunnings etc.) and get some stuff called LANOTEC or INOX Lanolin Spray.Its nonconductive coats any and everything to prevent corrosion.The military are using it.Have you ever seen a rusty sheep?.Do the easy stuff 1st.Check and clean all main electrical cables.The neg.where it is attached to the engine is an easy one to overlook.
The guys on this site are fantastic with helping people.Sometimes it takes a coupla days but with the time diff from here to the U.S. that's totally understandable.

Thanks guys.
I`ll give it a whirl and let you know how I get on
Thanks for everyones help.
Cheers

Richard

Back