with boat cover on i smell gas?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
gas smell while cover on?

ive had my boat cover on my 08 sead doo challanger 180 se for 5 days or so now and keep it in the closed garage. while i was walking past the boat today near the side vent cover i thought i smelled gas so i put my nose up to the vent and smelled it and it was coming from inside there. Is this normal as the inside is inclosed or should i be alarmed or what? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Boats always seem to smell a bit like gas as the engine is fully closed in unlike a car. This is why you always want to run the blower for a while before you start them.

Aaron

:agree: alway run the blower befor starting... trust me ive seen a boat blow up, it blew everyone right of the boat.... i didnt know the people it was at the marina near my cottage no one was hurt to bad everyone walked away with minor injurys..... I also keep mine in the garage and i can always smell gas, must be a seadoo thing cause the tank is in the engine bay area, but my doral never smells of gas.....

There is a gas vent on the side of most boats,thats where the smell comes from.I filled mine to the top a month ago ,we had a heat wave,and the gas was spewing out the vent.I would guess at least a quart:ack:
Lesson; never fill to the top:)

I'm also concerned about gas smell with storage in garage

I recently purchased a 97 Challenger and plan on keeping it off season in a garage that does not get much use and I'm concerned about the gas sell. To make matters worse the utility room for the house with hot water/furnace is vented into the garage and now I'm really concerned about the thing blowing up from the ignition of the hot water/furnace.

I really think this is dangerous, am I overly cautious?

I recently purchased a 97 Challenger and plan on keeping it off season in a garage that does not get much use and I'm concerned about the gas sell. To make matters worse the utility room for the house with hot water/furnace is vented into the garage and now I'm really concerned about the thing blowing up from the ignition of the hot water/furnace.

I really think this is dangerous, am I overly cautious?

It always good to play it safe when it comes to gas, I dont think you will have a problem though, it would take ALOT of fumes in a garage to blow it up. Is the hot water and furnace in the garage or just ventting into it???

just though of this you might be able to get a detector for fumes or vapor the set an alarm if it get to stronge, lol u get what im trying to say i hope....

Last edited by a moderator:
The check valves on the fuel tank are releasing the pressure inside the tank. It turns out that many boats' check valves are inside the hull (for the blower to remove) or on PWCs just clear out quickly in use.

If it REALLY bothers you, you could put a long tube between the tank and the check valve during storage. Then place the check valve towards a ventilated area in the garage or outside of the cover.

your vented gas from the devices inside your house shouldn't pose any problem as the combustibles have already been burnt.

However, if your devices inside your home vent into your garage, then there is a chance you could be creating a positive pressure inside your garage and have the gassy smell from your challenger's tank get into your home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back