Is it normal for a seadoo to have a gas smell in the engine compartment?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

paynpak1998

Hey everyone

I have a 2007 seadoo GTI 155 SE, 104 hours. Runs great however I noticed there’s a strong smell of gas in the hull. I’ve looked on the tank, no cracks. Also the hull is spotless (no drips) I’m kind of stumped here as to where the gas smell could be coming from? Anyone have any leads? I posted this on a Facebook group and a bunch of people all said their 2006 models also have a gas smell they don’t know where it’s coming from. Any help is appreciated

I had an XP 951 carb engine years ago that intermittently had a faint fuel smell. I pressure tested it a couple of times and found nothing. If there is a strong smell, I would suggest an in-depth testing of the fuel system. If you dont find the leak, the leak will find you!

I have this exact same ski as yours - it has been a great ski. I would describe my hull as having a faint fuel smell. But I store my ski indoors with the seat off, so I don’t really get any build up of fumes. A strong smell would likely be a concern, and that is why you are a bit concerned, and I would be too. I think storing your ski with the seat on would create more of a smell - when I have left my seat on. I don’t know how you are storing your ski, but if you check all your fuel hoses and you don’t have fuel leaks, then you have likely done what you can. The other idea is to maybe run your ski and then put it back on the trailer and check immediately for any leaks that might only occur with your fuel pump under pressure?

I have this exact same ski as yours - it has been a great ski. I would describe my hull as having a faint fuel smell. But I store my ski indoors with the seat off, so I don’t really get any build up of fumes. A strong smell would likely be a concern, and that is why you are a bit concerned, and I would be too. I think storing your ski with the seat on would create more of a smell - when I have left my seat on. I don’t know how you are storing your ski, but if you check all your fuel hoses and you don’t have fuel leaks, then you have likely done what you can. The other idea is to maybe run your ski and then put it back on the trailer and check immediately for any leaks that might only occur with your fuel pump under pressure?
Yeah man I might have to do that. My ski runs great too. I did notice the smell faintly before I stored it. But now it seems like it’s more strong now that the ski is sitting in my garage. Weird.

I have a 2008 gti 155 se and noticed a similar thing. Skis especially older generations from what I hear tend to have this. I personally just checked the fuel tanks and fuel lines, and the water in the bilge for any scent of fuel.

Back