Winterization - Fogging / Storage Oil Method

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

meedz

Question for those of you who are about to winterize your ski.....

We've got a fairly large rental fleet of Sparks - removing the top deck for EACH of these machines to fog the cylinders is major labour. We did not fog the cylinders for this reason on our 2016's. With our 2017 fleet we'd like to do it this year.

I read somewhere that some folks spray XPS storage oil through the airbox (access from the engine panel) and spray until the engine chokes and shut's itself down. Would this method actually work? My brain tells me no as the oil undergoes combustion instantly?

Cheers

I've never done a spark, however, personally, I have yet to ever spray or squirt enough oil into an intake to cause the engine to choke out on the oil while winterizing, and I've winterized hundreds (conservatively) of various watercraft. If this was to actually happen I'd be worried about hydrolocking the cylinders.

If you're using the fogging oil in the can, some will spray barely enough to make the engine smoke and that's probably enough for any freshwater engine.

Ar our shop, we use a pump-up sprayer loaded with 2-stroke and CRC fogging oil mixture and I give them a good dousing until I see a heavy fog coming out the exhaust. Yes, the idle does slow somewhat in the case of carbed engines but fuel injection type have an idle speed compensation device.

1st step in any winterizing is to properly dose fuel tank using fuel stabilizer.

I've never done a spark, however, personally, I have yet to ever spray or squirt enough oil into an intake to cause the engine to choke out on the oil while winterizing, and I've winterized hundreds (conservatively) of various watercraft. If this was to actually happen I'd be worried about hydrolocking the cylinders.

If you're using the fogging oil in the can, some will spray barely enough to make the engine smoke and that's probably enough for any freshwater engine.

Ar our shop, we use a pump-up sprayer loaded with 2-stroke and CRC fogging oil mixture and I give them a good dousing until I see a heavy fog coming out the exhaust. Yes, the idle does slow somewhat in the case of carbed engines but fuel injection type have an idle speed compensation device.

1st step in any winterizing is to properly dose fuel tank using fuel stabilizer.

Valid point on the hydrolock . . Didn't think of that.

Ok, so spraying through the airbox is a valid method of doing this based on your experience. That's great, saves us a ton of work and time!

We'll spray until we see heavy smoke and call it a season.

Cheers :cheers:

Ok, so spraying through the airbox is a valid method of doing this based on your experience.

Can't say for Spark but most of the time this works fine, especially worthwhile if a lot of disassembly is the alternative. Some airboxes have a special fogging port or manifold intended for the purpose. See Shop Manual if you can't locate this, might be described there.

I have found that since fogging oil is relatively heavy and somewhat sticky (due to the tackifier additivess) it helps to blip the throttle a little bit to suck the oil through the intake, otherwise it may tend to puddle in low spots. Warm days, fogging oil flows better.

Give it a go and see, generally the closer you can get to the throttle-body butterflies, the better. Just don't let the injection straw get sucked in or dropped into an open sparkplug hole.

I wouldn’t spray fogging oil into the intake of a 4 stroke as you don’t want it full of oil and probably not good for the sensors and injectors.

On 4 strokes I pull the spark plugs give each cylinder a squirt of fogging oil then bump it over and reinstall the plugs.

Back