Winter refresh of my 96 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

suke

So about 5 years or so ago I did a "resto" of a 96 XP. She's been great but felt it was time to change it up a bit.

RESTO - My semi resto 96 XP project

So on the list of things was this:
West Coast head with pump gas domes
Ocean Pro FA's
UMI
New carbs....like brand new with accel pump
Single gauge hood
Skat trak 17/22 impeller

Last season I did some minor changes: sponsons, extended pump....parts to run extended pump.

Anywho on to the pics. I was going to wait until I was done, but figured I might as well post where I'm at.

New carbs, love minty fresh parts:
37392523300_088ee59f0b_o.jpg

36940095244_75328dda5e_o.jpg

Cleaned up and found a paint that matches the stock OceanPro FA's
37618377382_e7d8eaff9c_o.jpg

Head is on:
38819466721_705bab5537_o.jpg

UMI installed:
38733550784_29a5863026_o.jpg

Relocated my multi gauge and DESS post:
38832944264_408606b819_o.jpg

Thanks to bowhunter I got ahold of a green single gauge hood and wetsanded it and painted it john deere yellow and it turned out amazing.
39542913851_970610d087_o.jpg

Primered
25008563417_f7e2e83290_o.jpg

Bottom painted and it's damn near a spot on match
39169397084_bd70689d8e_o.jpg

Wetsanded and ready for color
26007022678_594fa7db25_o.jpg

Bottom is done
26007022848_16123f9682_o.jpg

First couple coats of color:
39847852262_8bff1b2ec7_o.jpg

Clear going on
39847857622_297c448766_o.jpg

38980943845_3b16939ab3_o.jpg

39880794781_a4772d1881_o.jpg

8 layers of clear later
38980947165_9e95419040_o.jpg

Next morning
26007033578_fb57e0809c_o.jpg

2 days later
28099977559_4a6e1f0aa7_o.jpg

We'll see how it does.....and that's where I'm at right now. Still have to put the hood back together, the carbs and FA's on, do some more wire magic to get the gauges wired up.

Gross, what is that yamaha doing around the seadoo's. And a WestCoast head with Ocean Pro FA's. Geeze what is the world coming to.

Just kidding the hood and FA's look great.

Gross, what is that yamaha doing around the seadoo's. And a WestCoast head with Ocean Pro FA's. Geeze what is the world coming to.

Just kidding the hood and FA's look great.
LOL I've had that ski since I was a kid. West coast head an ocean pro Fa's were a very specific find I was looking for as mpower already has a ski with those exact settings so I know how it should ride. Easier to tune if you've got a working replica.

Hood looks AMAZING!!! Hard to believe it was faded green. What paint did you use?

Primer
38980948025_aa6717c8b8_o.jpg

Paint
39880797411_0c0dcf6d3b_o.jpg

Clear
39880798221_d9236941a6_o.jpg

Can't really recommend this as I don't know how it'll hold up, but it damn sure matches. I wanted to stick to the same brand for all primer, paint, and clear.

I bought a piece of plexiglass for the inner cover. Going to try and match it. The paint I bought was WAY off!
Ahhhh that john deere yellow rustoleum is spot on if that's the color you're trying to match. I have the cover with the holes in if it you want it. I'll ship it to ya. Or if you happen to be up this way again just let me know.

I think I’m good without it. I’ll shoot u a pic of what I did with some scrap plexi until I figured out what I wanted. I overlaid it with yellow vinyl. It’s close but I really want it painted. Then cut a BRP stencil in purple. I think it looks pretty sweet

I think I’m good without it. I’ll shoot u a pic of what I did with some scrap plexi until I figured out what I wanted. I overlaid it with yellow vinyl. It’s close but I really want it painted. Then cut a BRP stencil in purple. I think it looks pretty sweet
Ahhhh vinyl on that would be easier for sure. Especially with it being completely flat.

Suke, is the yellow seadoo uses all the same? Your hood looks great and I have a 96 GTI hood that's yellow and needs to be redone.

Suke, is the yellow seadoo uses all the same? Your hood looks great and I have a 96 GTI hood that's yellow and needs to be redone.
I'm not 100% sure. Not sure why they'd use a bunch of different yellows. I guess it couldn't hurt to buy a can and spray something and hold it up and see. I knew from past folks talking that this specific paint would match the X4 yellow.

I was just giving you a hard time suke using two different brands of parts. Just messing with you that’s all.

You forgot to clean the white paint off the bolts on the head come on man

Last edited:
Dang, most of the pics didn't show up for me. The carb did, wow! Shiny!
As for the paint on the bolts, wire wheel on a drill press on highest setting is what I use. Those cheap small wheels from Harbor Freight, do the job well. The big wheels are too soft usually.If using a hand drill, try using a C-clamp and secure it to something. You need to really press that bolt against the brush wheel. I find that clean shiny stainless steel bolts look best on a head :) That ski is going to be a beast with those upgrades. Maybe I'll come up next summer and ride with you guys. I plan to build my 95 XP800, but IDK if I'll keep original paint scheme. I know you guys say it's blasphemy, but I kind of want a ski that's more original. Currently, I'm looking for a good place to get a reasonably placed crank. Crankworks wants $600 for a balanced one. Not sure it's worth it.
Currently, I'm stuck in Singapore till spring, dreaming about working on my ski and living vicariously through this forum. Once I get back, I'm going to put that x4 together and jump these amazing mountain waves behind the yachts everyone seems to have in Miami. They aren't afraid to use the throttle either :)

I think its hard when I'm at work and cant work on the ski when I have a pile of parts waiting for me. I cant imagine having to wait four months. You have my sympathy LOL

Dang, most of the pics didn't show up for me. The carb did, wow! Shiny!
As for the paint on the bolts, wire wheel on a drill press on highest setting is what I use. Those cheap small wheels from Harbor Freight, do the job well. The big wheels are too soft usually.If using a hand drill, try using a C-clamp and secure it to something. You need to really press that bolt against the brush wheel. I find that clean shiny stainless steel bolts look best on a head :) That ski is going to be a beast with those upgrades. Maybe I'll come up next summer and ride with you guys. I plan to build my 95 XP800, but IDK if I'll keep original paint scheme. I know you guys say it's blasphemy, but I kind of want a ski that's more original. Currently, I'm looking for a good place to get a reasonably placed crank. Crankworks wants $600 for a balanced one. Not sure it's worth it.
Currently, I'm stuck in Singapore till spring, dreaming about working on my ski and living vicariously through this forum. Once I get back, I'm going to put that x4 together and jump these amazing mountain waves behind the yachts everyone seems to have in Miami. They aren't afraid to use the throttle either :)
Do it!!! Don't worry what everyone else thinks. At this point I'm only going forward so paint on the head bolts it is.

IdoSeaDoo, I don't think the Crankworks is worth the $600. I haven't paid more than $400 for an OEM crank from seadoo.

Also the $29 bench grinder with a wire wheel from Harbor Freight does a great job of cleaning up the bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back