RESTO Winter Project!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled the pump assembly off today and the wear ring looks surprisingly good. Looking for input as to whether or not I should bother ripping the prop out and replacing the wear ring as it doesn't have any major gouges and it's still fitting decently tight against the prop. The prop seems to spin very nicely and I don't hear any bearing issues inside the pump.

Drained the oil out of the cone and filling that back up soon... if I could shove this thing back together I would rather do that and save the wear ring I have for when I really need it or if I get a new prop next year.

Only other issue was there is a small plastic ring that sits between the pump and the hull which appears to have a crack.... Not sure if that is part of the wear ring or if it's separate and also a little rubber stopper fell out of somewhere but I don't know where it goes.

Thanks!db5ea540192659a5d92c8a1faa749434.jpg6d5c8c8465d9544bc2f028ec9bfd6bad.jpgdc94b8c6aed60ff881982f89581b1928.jpged7b4df2f5f5970e6a513ae1690c51ab.jpgf6542c73ade35e09b3d881b415fdb657.jpg
3b5a414c2690bf9f7f699616afbd0bd4.jpg

I'm pretty sure the small rubber piece I spoke about earlier is the plug on the end of the drive shaft... It is number 13 in the diagram.53f930892aec2b79a06fd03e8f33f20a.jpg

Pump seems ok. I’m not sure what the ring to impeller tolerance measurement is. Looks like ya got lucky. Change oil and send it!

Pump seems ok. I’m not sure what the ring to impeller tolerance measurement is. Looks like ya got lucky. Change oil and send it!
Full send....It's already back together, going to get on the water this weekend!

Gotta reassemble my seat and a few other small things.

Took it out on the water for the first time today kept it on the trailer it started up fine revved it up a bunch while on the trailer to make sure everything seemed okay. disconnected and pulled it out and then started to open her up a little bit....

Throttle felt sluggish about halfway but when I went wide open for a few seconds it revved right up nicely and planed off.

I did a loop and started back towards the boat dock and it died on me.

Could only get it to sputter and run a little bit (few seconds) pulled the fuel filter everything looks fine checked the fuel line to make sure there was nothing blocking it... it's definitely getting gas to the carbs.

Thoughts?

Got it home on the trailer primed it up a little bit with some fuel in the carbs and was able to get it running again no obvious blockages the filter looked fine.

One thing I did notice is it feels a little sluggish when you're giving it medium to heavy throttle but under low throttle it seems to respond better. You can hear it in the video.

Weird day here.... After I got it running good again at home I took it back to the lake and I tried to get it running good in the water again.

On the boat dock out of the water it will start up, idle and rev just fine but as soon as I drop the back end into the water and try to start it it barely runs. It will run for 5 to 10 seconds if I prime the carbs with fuel but it always dies after that.

The resistance from having the impeller in the water makes the engine not able to run properly which I'm guessing has to do with the carb.

Any help is appreciated.

Just another piece of information... we ran a compression test on this rebuilt engine and I am only getting 100 PSI on the cylinder closest to the drive shaft and 118 on the forward cylinder.

Guess I was expecting better numbers with a fresh rebuild.

That engine is done. It will not run in the water with the compression that low.
130 is perfect on a 951.

Man I sure hope thats not your compression. Was the tank completely empty of fuel when you added the pre mix fuel? I find it wildly unlikely on that short ride you'd have hurt the motor. It it a good reputable compression gauge? Holding throttle wide open? Crank till the gauge stops?

With out going back did you rebuild carbs and test pop off etc?

You sound like my 951 a week ago. I took the carbs back off and rebuilt the freshly rebuilt carbs, only the second time I listened and used all mikuni parts.

Man I sure hope thats not your compression. Was the tank completely empty of fuel when you added the pre mix fuel? I find it wildly unlikely on that short ride you'd have hurt the motor. It it a good reputable compression gauge? Holding throttle wide open? Crank till the gauge stops?

With out going back did you rebuild carbs and test pop off etc?

You sound like my 951 a week ago. I took the carbs back off and rebuilt the freshly rebuilt carbs, only the second time I listened and used all mikuni parts.

Yes tank was emptied completely from the reserve setting. I also replaced all the fuel lines as well then primed them using a bit of pressure on the pulse line...new fuel filter as well.

I rebuilt these carbs with genuine mikuni kits over the winter. Everything seemed to go great as they weren't in horrible shape. Cleaned everything and reassembled without an issue. I don't think I ever did the popoff test thoi will look into that.

I tried throttle wide open, removing one plug, no difference in pressure. Maybe I need to get a different one to be sure but it was brand new for the engine rebuild.

It's very weird to me that this thing ran so good for the first trip on the water and now it won't even idle on the trailer...

I was doing 45 mph for a few seconds and everything sounded and felt great for that very short trip. Turn around towards the boat dock and it dies shortly after. I may reach out to a local shop and just have them look things over and confirm my compression readings.

Finally got my hands on another compression tester that's a slightly different style.

The guy who rebuilt the engine said I should try and get a tester that has a longer threaded section so it goes deeper into the cylinder similar to the depth of the plug.

I did that and sure enough the compression is right up around 130 on one cylinder and slightly less on the rear cylinder.

Back to the drawing board as far as what might be going on with this thing.

e9916434785bc754ae271b550f61999e.jpg3bc9a7c3e8a894f00c851ce3770ffdb8.jpg

Thats fine, so long as each is with in 10% of each other.

Need to likely pull carb and test pop off.

check all fuel lines and filter? All that was changed out etc?

Thats fine, so long as each is with in 10% of each other. I gotta read back through thread but the carbs you built them and tested pop off etc?
I rebuilt them over the winter over the course of a couple weeks and I don't think I ever tested the pop off.i used genuine mikuni kits and everything went good, no issues with any of the internals.

My gut is pointing me to issues with the carbs but they are such a pain in the ass to get out I was avoiding it...haha.

Might have to head down that road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back