Wind Speed Docking

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunhams5624

I am new to jetboating and in 20mph wind I could not dock my Sea-Doo challenger 180. Had to go in fast could not use forward and neutral to get there. Kind of a nightmare. Is there a wind speed that I should avoid taking the boat out? I can dock without wind or minimal wind.

Wind can be tricky with jet boats. I would say there is a limit but it is highly personal based on boat and pilot capability.

Personally, I find it is all in the preparation.

Some things to consider:

1. Know the wind direction before you dock. This is important because it will dictate how you should approach.
2.. Keep the bow into the wind as much as you can in your approach as you will have the most control and least wind effect.
3.. Think of the wind as another actor of force. An example, if the wind coming at the dock, let it push you to the dock. If the wind is pushing you away from the dock, approach the dock bow on and let your line deckhand step off, cleat and bring the rear around in reverse.
4.. Consider that you will always have to be in motion so just plan continuous arcs of motion to get you to the dock. This is where trouble starts when you have to pause for external reasons. (Other boats, etc.) Plan a set of arcs of a holding pattern with each arc keeping your bow into the wind.

Lastly, as a pilot sometimes you need to abandon the concept of a greaser landing and just focus on a landing. Throw out your fenders and just make contact with the dock and have someone ready with the lines to get off.

Everything Mac said is spot on.

The windy dockings are scary and maddening all at the same time because so many additional factors but if you can manage and get it down in rough conditions it’ll make you better all around.

Roughest docking I’ve encountered was about 30-40mph gusts with 20+mph sustained winds, storm came out of nowhere and everyone on lake headed for the launch. We got close and I had guests in the boat that I didn’t give good instructions of what to do. Needless to say we got pushed sideways ,like an arm clearing a shelf, right into the dock catching a bolt from the dock into the side. Didn’t puncture but took about a quarter size of gel coat down to the fiber. The best lesson I learned from that experience was first breathe, second give calm, clear instructions to everyone on boat of what I need help to do. 99% of the time I tell people to stay seated until the ride comes to complete stop and I tell them, but in situations like this, they’re tools to help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back