Will my 2003 Buick Century pull and launch a sea-doo without any problems?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nexiss65

The sea-doo and trailer weigh no more than 1000lbs, there is a class 1 hitch for my car rated for up to 2000lbs. I just want to know if there is anyone else out there that pulls and launches a sea-doo with this type of car or a car similar to it? Everyone I talk to says it should be no problem, Thanks for your help.
-- The car is a 3.1L V6, low miles and dealership maintained.

Check your bumper rating(if you have owners manual). Car will have no problem but the type of hitch might be a problem. If it is the kind that bolts to bumber only,,,I think bumper rating is only 500 lbs. If you get a hitch that bolts to bumper & frame or body you will be better off.

Hitch?

I don't see any problem with the car in pulling and launching a jet ski. I will assume that your 2000 lb. hitch is a "draw type". Which means it's bolted to the underside of the frame. A V-6 engine is plenty powerful enough to do the job!........good luck!

My 4 cyl 2.2L (135hp) Subaru Legacy pulled this HX for a better part of 5 years, year round and over mountains, with no problem. Class II hitch bolted to the unibody and not just the bumper was key.
2035802_2_full.jpg

It also pulled this, but I only did this a few times and am glad I did not do it more. 2 jetskis was okay - but that double trailer is much heavier than the single trailer.
618555_47_full.jpg

But now I operate with an overkill principle:
618555_87_full.jpg

Nice JPX. The tranny never went out on the Subaru?

The sea-doo and trailer weigh no more than 1000lbs, there is a class 1 hitch for my car rated for up to 2000lbs. I just want to know if there is anyone else out there that pulls and launches a sea-doo with this type of car or a car similar to it? Everyone I talk to says it should be no problem, Thanks for your help.
-- The car is a 3.1L V6, low miles and dealership maintained.

You won't have any issues pulling your Sea Doo's. I am a draw-tite hitch dealer, and a class l Hitch has a rating of 2,000# pulling capacity, and a Tongue wt of 200# ...meaning that the tongue of the trailer shouldn't be over 200#. With a V6 you shouldn't have any problems at all with that weight. If you are purchasing a Hitch from Drawtite, the Part # is 24659, with Removable draw bar...frame mounted hitch . If your purchasing a hitch I recommend a class ll hitch. The more capacity the better rated for 3500# capacity with a tongue wt of 300# part # 36374 Have fun...Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice JPX. The tranny never went out on the Subaru?

Still going at 150,000 miles 11 years later. Needed a new long block after the "replaced" waterpump failed and cooked my headgasket.

That double trailer used to get pulled by friend's Toyota MR2 for several trips. :eek:

Single trailer is an easy pull for anything outfitted with a V6 (unless it is an Acura NSX or something:p) The trick is to drive patiently and safely on the long trips.:)

I pulled my 97 GSX and a 99Polaris Slx with a Scion XB for 4 months was fine towing but would put on a heck of a smoke show pulling them out of the water.I fixed the problem by getting a GMC Envoy 4X4... miss the gas mileage and the smell of tire smoke though...lol

towing

I had an accident a few years ago and totalled my Blazer,in the meantime I bought an old beater Pontiac Grand Am,1990 I think,went to the salvage yard and picked up a hitch and fabricated it to fit the Pontiac. I have a SeaDoo GTX and had NO problems towing , launching or otherwise..couldnt even tell it was back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back