Why you put boats in the water before you buy!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prairie sp

So this is a FYI post.

I've been riding Sea doos since 1987. My fleet has consisted of Sp's, Gtx's, Gsx's, and my pride and joy my 96 Hx.

After many years of enjoying my Hx I couldn't take the abuse anymore that machine put me through riding. When your favorite machine makes you call in sick on Monday morning that relationship is not going well.

So I started looking around for somthing quick agile, powerful, that would give me the same type of ride as an HX but would let me stop in the lake or the river pull out a Pepsi have a smoke and actually relax.

Well the choice is obvious if you want the benifits of the Hx performance and manuevarability with the comfort to a degree of a water couch you have one choice. The Sea Doo Xp.

So begins the nightmare of my stupidity.
I find in the vastness of the interweb a 99 Xp ltd my favorite machine to have not owened.
So I make the three and a half hour drive to take a look. First things first when I see it.
1) pumps off
2) no lake or river with in 100 km
3) won't start
Well wear ring is shot, no biggie $70.00, impeller looks rough but serviceable. Knock a couple hundre off asking. Now won't start battery is showing 11.8 volts needs battery. Knock a couple hundred off that. So I get the boat an trailer for what I think is a steal. Drive home slide into my local dealer parts are waiting new battery fully charged new plugs, new wear ring she fires first try.

Put her in the water no go cavitation, or lack of fuel.Start with cavitation, new impeller wait what's that a nice two by two inch hole in the pump intake on the bottom of the hull. Cavitation it has to be. So
Off comes the pump,ride plate and intake. Cut a nice piece of aluminum (beer can) some flush rivits patch the hole from the bottom with aluminium and the tedious process of building epoxy in the hole and around the pump housing to repair the damage of a runaway impeller. So after about 15 hours of building epoxy up and sanding and filing smooth it passes for factory. A quick coat of leak sealer down to the river. No joy! Must be fuel, can't be buddy showe me a bill for tune up carb rebuild less than a month ago. So off come the carbs. Well that's really odd the old grey fuel lines that look like they have been replaced are just cut back and spliced to black rubber. Re do the fuel lines. Now tackle the carbs. Pull the carbs apart, filters well you can't call them that. Plugged solid with brown gunk. I couldn't even stick a # 2 Allen key in either.
So today hopefully I'll get it in the water after 3 weeks of th Gf saying I told you so and see if she runs.
Other problems Vts is shot,no gauges other problems for other times.

Put it in the water before you buy!

If you look at a boat/ski that can not be tested, you MUST assume it will cost you an engine. If you look at it any other way, you are making a serious financial mistake.

The next part will be the fuel selector as they get destroyed due to Grey Tempo Lines..

The bright side is that you do have the best ski for you(and many others imo) and the headaches will give way to great ride time at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back