Why do I see people saying "No TC-W3" oil?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JT-27

I have a 240 Merc 2003 Utopia, only had it out a few times this year, and topped the oil off with Wal Mart brand marine oil TC-W3. The previous owner used Sam's club brand oil, and since I don't belong to Sam's, I just got the wal-mart stuff which is likely the same thing anyway. I don't have my owner's manual with me, it's at home (and I am at work), but I could have sworn that's what it said to use.

Why does KustomKarl say this??
"Use High quality low ASH API TC Injector oil.
Do Not use NMMA TC-W, TC-W2 or TC-W3 outboard motor oils or other ash less type 2 cycle oil. Avoid mixing different brands of API TC oil as resulting chemical reaction will cause severe engine damage. Never mix Mineral or synthetics oil together."

They are referring to the Rotax engines when they say not to use TC-W3. Make sure you DO use it in your Mercury. I buy the Quicksilver Premium TC-W3 that you can find at many Walmarts.

Aaron:cheers:

I second the quicksilver TC-W3 in the Mercury. Most all brands made today mix just fine.

Seadoo specs for rotax engines is API-TC of which seadoo and amsoil are the few that market it.

And can charge whatever they want!

Seadoo specs for rotax engines is API-TC of which seadoo and amsoil are the few that market it.

I found out the same thing when looking for oil for my 03 Sportster. 1 gallon of the BRP oil ran me $50.00 after tax. :ack::boxing_smiley::(

Ahhh cool, gotcha. I thought it may just be for the Rotax engines, but the thread I was referring to had Karl saying no to the Merc's. My boat is running fine, but it made me nervous as hell since I've only owned the Utopia for a couple of months.

I'm glad my other vessel is a 4 stroke (Honda Aquatrax)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back