which seadoo to purchase

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

steak000

hi guys, im looking soon at buying either a new or used seadoo. I want to use it for recreation, towing and wake boarding. Ive been told that i would be stupid for not getting a supercharged version. As i wouldnt be using it all the time and would have limited use over summer i just dont know if i should go for a 155 engine or a supercharged version? Anythinoghts would be good... especially to know if a non supercharged would be ok in sea water and able to tow compfortably. Cheers Daniel

Well...for a biased opinion...take it for what it's worth....heh.

An S3 hulled rxt 260 or an 08+ rxtx.

Another "unbiased" opinion - go with the S3 hulled RXT260 for recreation and towing!! I don't know what your expectations are for wake boarding but IMO, a seadoo is not a wake boarding machine - no wake!!

Sea doo sells a wake booster. It sits on the back of the ski on the S3 hull, and you fill it with water to make a larger wake. Don't know how effective it is. Also, the wake models come with features like a wakeboard rack and telescoping tow pole, as well as a tow mode for controlled acceleration.

I currently own two supercharged models - a 2010 GTX Limited iS 260 and a new 2012 RXP-X 260 RS.
You should consider the ongoing maintenance and fuel costs of supercharged vs non-supercharged.
The older supercharged models need a complete supercharger overhaul at 100 hours but the newer models only need this at 200 hours.
You need to assess whether non-supercharged would satisfactorily meet your requirements - if so, you will save a considerable amount on maintenance and fuel.
I find that I only drive these supercharged models in 'sports' mode (eco or touring mode feels very sluggish after sports mode) but I pay for this pleasure at the fuel bowser with 98 octance costing $A1.56. per litre ($US7.38 per gallon) here in AUS (I have emptied these supercharged models easily in a half day of 'fun').
Re using a ski for wakeboarding - although the ski will tow OK I don't really think that the ski wake is anywhere near comparable to that of a dedicated wakeboard boat - regardless of water ballast, etc. To do any type of towing with a ski here in AUS requires a three seater - driver, observer and person to be towed (unless you start the tow from the shore each time - difficult).

I have 2011 gtx 155 with ski pol and wake racks. I am a 97 kg and the ski pops me out of the water easy.

I have 2011 gtx 155 with ski pol and wake racks. I am a 97 kg and the ski pops me out of the water easy.

I have a 2007 Wake with Ski Pole. While it does well with tubes, knee boards and wakeskates I find that a big wakeboard bogs down the ski a lot.

I wouldn't wait 200hrs before rebuilding your sc's.....the better washers may allow it...but the bearings were never improved.

I own both a super charged and a non-super charged model. This works for me as my GF loves the non and I LOVE the supercharged ski.

Personally, no matter the cost, I will NEVER not own a supercharged ski. I enjoy that I can go 60 MPH in under 3 seconds and yet the engine is barely working when I an cruising at 55 MPH...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back