Which jet boat do I go with?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris91

Hey, I have recently bought a 1996 Seadoo XP jetski, and I was looking to get a jet boat. I loved the Jet Ski and will probably sell it to a friend who wants it. I have decided to stick with Seadoo, and found the Jet boat I wanted. One problem I have is most people don't know what their jet boat is so it is EXTREMELY difficult to find accurate posts. http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/910768159.html is the one I was looking at especially since it has a bimini. The year I was looking for would be around 1997-2000. I was curious what would be recommended to get as I do not want one with two engines, only single engine. I will be searching activly during the winter but most so come early spring. Are there any suggestions as to which one would be optimal? (I like to wakeboard and bring other people tubing/wake boarding) And the second thing I was wondering was the price range and what is far for a 97, 98, 99 or 2000 because they range from 2500-8000 and never seem to be solid price brackets as jet skis are. As I am going into college I will not have a enormous budget as I would like to buy a brand new one. Any suggestions on what to look for and what not to would be highly appreciated. Thankyou!

Welcome to the seadoo forum Chris91. Here is a link on our forum for you to check out to help in your decision. http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=134

For a good place for a book price go to " www.nada.com " and click on the boat link. There you can find a book price based on the year and model of any jet boat you are looking at. If you are going to finance it, it will give you a good idea of what the bank will expect to finance too, and what it is worth in the market. You will get responses as to what other members like or dislike about their own jet boat, and give you suggestions. I personally prefer the newer 4 stroke engines with inter looping cooling system for maintenance, but the older single 2 stroke single should work well for you also. There is also a lot of information in past threads that are available in the search engine at the top of the forum page. Just enter a key phrase like "pulling a tube", or "fastest seadoo",for example and see what it pulls up. If we can help any more give us a shout back.

Karl

On the one you linked to, it would be good to ask about what was done to the motor. REbuild can be a word with many meanings. Was it a top end, (Rings, piston, wrist pin, top end brngs, and hone the cylinders,) or was it a complete rebuild?

Reasonable question.

N

I just got you link to the boat open...yes that "rebuilt" remark should be backed up with receipts and a sea trial to be sure it meets your needs. If possible have a seadoo marine dealer inspect it and report what their findings are as to what it might need to make it a good value. It looks real clean, but if the engine and jet pump aren't sound, it could be an expensive repair later.

Keep us posted on you progress and if you have questions let us know.

Karl

Thats a clean boat, same with the price!

Like Karl said, sea trial (a must) and info on what was entailed in the "rebuilt", would be cool...

Thank you very much for your response. I am going to look up the price on the site you posted, but I was curious as to what model that one was? No one ever posts the model name just "Seadoo Jetboat" I know it is either a speedster or challenger but theres definitly a few versions of each. I am paying in full since I have been saving for a long time (boating = life) I am not buying that one because I want to give more time and thought into it before I settle on one, and I always requested to hear the engine run out of water, and then for an in water demo before I think of anything. My father is an engineer and excellent mechanic so he knows what to listen for and look for. The reason I am curious about Seadoos and all other jet boats in particular is because most seem to have rebuilt engines, which could be one thing in my mind and that is inproper use of the vehicle and or inadequit care. Do jet boats often need rebuilt engines because of faulty make which I highly doubt or is it the owner?

Last edited by a moderator:
that particular one, is the Challenger, with an 800cc motor. The other single motor boat is the Sportster. If/when you come across these type boats with model "1800", they're 18ft long with 2 motors, whether 2-800cc or 2-720cc, depending on what type. This statement for mid/late 90's years, then Challenger started throw'n in "mercury' motors, but few yrs only...

If boats clean and runs good, thats a "steal" of a price...

I have the same boat and so does several other people on this forum. It is a great boat and that is a phenomenal price if the boat is in tact and runs good. Don't buy it without putting it in the water and driving it though. I just got mine in September and I used it twice and thought it was a blast till I found out the Impeller and Wear Ring were junk so the boat wasn't even closely getting to top speed or pulling out of the hole right of even planing out quickly. It would take 30-40 seconds to plane out. Now with the new parts it should plane out in under 3 seconds.

I would definitely buy that boat for $3000. Hell you can probably get him down to $2500 if you try hard enough.

Hold On There

Although $3000 is a good price, consider the following:

See the number 'A42' on the transom ? probably means it was a rental. That means it sat in salt water (not on a trailer) day after day in the sun. There could be awful corrosion and problems with corroded electrical contacts, exhaust, cables, fittings, what-have-you.

I would look for a fresh water only boat, although in Fl that is tough to find.

Check eBay also.

That was a boat I found for sale in miami, however I currently live in NY. I will most likley go out of state if I have to when I go to purchase one. I checked the average price and it seems to lay around 3000 depending on what is tacked on.

Although $3000 is a good price, consider the following:

See the number 'A42' on the transom ? probably means it was a rental. That means it sat in salt water (not on a trailer) day after day in the sun. There could be awful corrosion and problems with corroded electrical contacts, exhaust, cables, fittings, what-have-you.

I would look for a fresh water only boat, although in Fl that is tough to find.

Check eBay also.

This is actually the number of the boat when it was in dry dock so the Fork truck operator will know who's boat is on the rack and where it should go after it removed from the water.

Karl

Hello again, I have been doing a bit of searching and am having difficulty finding one with these basic specs. Since the fuel economy is basically shot and I am entering college I wanted a jet boat that would be good on fuel, so I decided I wanted one with 110-120 HP in the 14-16 ft range. Which models meet these specs? Or do most of them depending on what model the person ordered? I am looking for one from 1999-2004

110 hp...

The 110 hp rating you are looking for are best found in the 14 foot Challenger, used in 96 and 97. They made a few Challengers in 98, 2000 and 2001 with the 85hp, 717 engine.

So, unless your ready to go to the 4 TEC's or a larger boat, I'd recommend you find a 96 or 97 Challenger. The price may be right.....so, check one out.

I personally own the 97 and I love it!:cheers:

I am also looking at the 120s which is perfectly fine for the amount of horse power. The problem I have is that my father is a mechanic/engineer so he is extremely weary about older boats and afraid the engine will break down or blow up because of the age. I know most likley it won't because I have a 96 Seadoo Jet ski and it runs great.

The way I look at it is I could buy one of that year for approximatly 3000 dollars around the East Coast. If by chance the engine blows theres a company near me extremely reliable that many people around me have used completely rebuilds engines for under 2000 dollars and puts on a 2-3 year warrenty. So still in total it amounts to half of what I could spend. The one requirement that I do need besides around that amount of horse power is a bimini top, although mostly all of them have it, and I could probably buy one if it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back