Which GPS?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

RFoster130

Premium Member
Premium Member
I am thikning of taking the boat down to FL on vacation with us. I am sure it will be much different that the lakes around home. Here I know how to get back where I launched. Down there I would hate to get lost. I am looking for a relatively cheap GPS system that would work out on the water.

I actually have a 3 year old Dual brand, but I dont know if it will work out on water. I have a part time job at a store that sells most the popular Garmin, Magellan and Tom Tom models. Do any of those regular ones work out on water? I am looking for something under $150. Any suggestions?

Get away from the road models and steer toward the trail models. I have the Magellan Triton from Walmart at around $150. I have downloaded a couple of maps, but even if I didn't, I bought it to mark a spot on shore (boat ramp) and have it point me back toward it. The maps help to maneuver around islands and peninsulas, etc.

I tried a street model TomTom One, and it just kept trying to tell me how to get back to the closest street. No help whatsoever if you want to get from a fishing spot to the boat ramp.

Thats the kind of info I needed. Thanks. Any other models out there anyone is using?

Also, be sure you either have a power outlet on the boat, or get one that uses AA batteries. The rechargeable ones, like my TomTom road model, will die on the water in about 20 minutes. My Triton lives off 2 AAs for 6-8 hours.

Also be sure it is water proof, or at least water resistant.

The Triton is a cheap base model for beginners, and can be purchased at WalMart. Bass Pro and other boat stores will have MANY to choose from and they can get pricey.

I am leaning towards the triton. Seems like it will get the job done for a good price. Which model do you have? I have found the 300 for like $120. thanks

Mines the 400. I doubt there is much difference. I probably paid more for the one that came with the National Geographic software with maps you can download.

They were decent, but EXPENSIVE after you use the first free 25 maps which are only a couple miles square.

The best maps I found are the ones you can buy on ebay, where you get an entire state for $20 or $25. All the roads, rivers, lakes, etc like on the pic below.

Otherwise, you will start with a green screen with nothing else on it. It will keep tracks for you, and point you where you want to go, list the coordinates, speed, top speed, avg speed, all kinds of cool stuff.

Be sure to get on line and buy the mount. This thing 2nd pic will swivel 180 degrees so you can mount it to your windshield in the car, or to any flat surface in your boat, and I have yet to see it come loose. It has a strong lever-atuated suction cup on the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you have to purchase each area? By the time you buy a bunch, would it be cheaper to just buy a more expensive model that comes with everything? I thought they were like road GPS in the sense that everything you needed was there. Thats kinda odd.

I don't know, maybe the more expensive ones have maps built in, but the off-road ones I have seen do not.

But, I am cheap, and only looked at the less expensive ones.

The TomTom came with all US maps, but was worthless on the water except to measure speed. It kept saying to enter a destination, and if I marked a spot, let's say the boat ramp, instead of pointing me to the boat ramp from across the lake, it told me to drive the boat straight to the closest shoreline so it could get on a road, then lead me by road to the boat ramp AROUND the lake!

NOT good on the water.

And after shopping around for add-on maps, $20 per state is pretty cheap. So if you need several states, you might do better by buying a more expensive model, if they come with maps built in.

Then, if you go more expensive, you may as well get one with a 6" screen rather than the little 2.5" or whatever the Triton has. But you said you were leaning toward the $150 price, so like my momma always said, "you get what you pay for".

I am lookin at the triton 300 and it says us maps. I guess water has to be added. At the bargain price of 135, its hard to beat even if I have to pay 20 bucks to add a state.

I'm starting to think we shoulda done this by PM, since nobody else is involved...

If it comes with US maps, then you are good to go. How far off shore are you planning to travel? If not too far, it may have nearby islands on it.

Yeah i thought mre people would have an input....oh well. appreciate your help.

Most the time I will be close to the land or where I can find my way back. The main reason I am looking is next month we are going to Panama City Beach florida and I wanna take the boat. I want to explore the gulf some and would hate to not be able to find where I launched.

Even the bare-boned GPS that allows you to save a location will guide you back, and if it has no maps, you will just have to eyeball your way around islands and such.

Wait, didn't you say you worked at a place that sold the things?

Can't you buy one, try it out locally, and if it doesn't work, just return it and try another one?:reddevil:

I might be able to get one and try it out and return it if I dont like it. I work a part time job at a place just to get discounts on stuff like thi, but they only sell the street type.

Scratch the Lowrance XOG

My XOG bit the dust/locked up last weekend and I'm having a heck of time getting it fixed with their customer service.

Going to try a Garmin NUVI 500 next....

garmin!, i have a tom tom work issue and a garmin personal.

the garmin is by far more accurate and easier to use. i sometimes want to throw the tom tom out the window and tell work it got stolen and i need a garmin replacement!

By now you've probably already taken your trip to FL. I wish I had seen your post earlier. Depending on where you are in FL, we could have met up somewhere and I could show you around. There's tons of stuff to see (I'm in South Florida) - wrecks, reefs, sealife, and some of the best fishing if that's what you're into. We're about 4 miles from the Gulf Stream and my friends catch some of the biggest kingfish and sailfish you'll see.

When I got my latest boat, I was going to get a less expensive depthfinder/fishfinder but wasn't happy with the black and white readout. It had the basic information, but when I boated in places I've never been to before, it really didn't give me enough idea where it was safe to go (due to depths, rocks, etc.). In no time, I realized the less expensive one would satisfy my immediate needs (and I didn't have much money) but I knew in the end I was going to own a boat the rest of my life and figured it would be worth investing a little more into something that could have my boat or my engine.

I shopped around online and went to a few boating supply places. I went to a major boat parts supplier's showroom and fell in love with a Garmin 440S, even though it was close to $700. I went online and found the same one for $422 with free shipping. Same exact model, identical in every way and eligible for the manufacturer's warranty. It is full color and you can add memory cards you buy that will give you an 'eagle's eye' view with actual aerial cartography if you ever want to. It's a depthfinder and a fishfinder, along with GPS. Add the cost of a transponder ($50-$60 depending on which one you want) but you may find it's better to pay once than to buy cheap the first time and then upgrade.

You can get them for inland waters or coastal waters depending on where you anticipate using it the most.

If you plan on owning a boat for a long time, I'd consider investing in something with the GPS/fishfinder/depthfinder and the Garmin 440S is a great one. (I do not work for Garmin or any other boating company and am not getting paid for this.)

My XOG bit the dust/locked up last weekend and I'm having a heck of time getting it fixed with their customer service.

Going to try a Garmin NUVI 500 next....
tresvatos, have you had a chance to look at the nuvi 500 yet? I have been looking at the 550, but have yet to take the plunge. Just wondering what your thoughts were on it and why you settled on that model.

Thanks,
Tracy

Sorry for not getting back w. you earlier.. I have seen nothing but good reviews on the nuvi 500. I have the mount set up already in my boat, so I am committed to get one when the right price comes along..

Back