Where's the beeper?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

timhood

I have a 2008 180 Challenger SE. Just got it about a week ago. First time out with the family and everyone complained about the beeper. I read here that some people put a piece of tape over it to quiet it down, but those were PWC owners. Anyone know where the beeper is on my boat and how I can get to it? It sounds like its up near the dash/console.

I'm not 100% sure on the newer boats... but it should be in the helm, pointing down at your legs. If you put you head under the steering wheel, you will see it poking though the fiberglass.

That's it

Man, that was almost embarrassingly easy to find! I thought it was going to be behind a panel or something. Nope, it's right there out in the open! Bigger than I thought it would be, too! (About 1.25" in diameter). You'd think I would have noticed it, being it's black on white fiberglass. :)

I was surprised how well a piece of electrical tape muted the sound. It went from too loud to almost too quiet. But my family will be happy!

I did the same thing and yes it is almost too quiet now. Before the electrical tape the beeper was so loud that it would echo and you could hear it all around the lake.

Beeper

Yep I used a half piece of good ole duct tape. Covering too much didn't work for us either.

It was like fingernails across the chalkboard when that thing beeped

I'm sure that some adjustment of how tightly the tape is applied or whether it covers the hole entirely can allow for just the right volume level. I'm going with the way it is until I can try it on the water this weekend, at the dock and while under way with the stereo going. But too quiet is definitely better than too loud. ;)

OK, I'm confused here. does this tape muffle the sound 100% or just deadens it a bit?
Don't you want to hear the beeper in case of overheating?

The tape just takes the beeping sound from annoyingly, ear-piercingly loud down to a normal, yet audible volume. I have no problem hearing the beep with the tape on, but now nobody complains about it. I recommend this virtually free fix. :)

mmmmmm Ok, but doesn't it only beep a couple times before starting. Unless it's really an ear piercing sound.

Tells everyone you have the best jetboat/ski made and with it's own security system to boot.

It beeps when you first attach the DESS key, but it will also beep a short time after you shutoff the boat if you leave the key in. Often times we'll shut off the boat somewhere if the kids want to jump in the water or if we want to stop to have lunch. That beeping is actually much worse than the initial plug-in beep. Sure, we could unplug it altogether, but the tape "fix" is nice because our ears will never get caught offguard. ☺

What I've found is the most annoying about the beep is when other nearby Sea-Doo PWCs beep, for example, when we're all onshore. That leaves me wondering if I left the key in. It would be a nice little feature to be able to customize the beep--at least from some predefined ones.

Yeah, download your own tune.....like your motors revving up high....that would get the people out of the way in a hurry......HAHAHA

Tim, memory of an elephant. :) Thanks for responding to a 1 year old thread. If you want to customize the beep, look for 12V annunciator online, they make them in all audible frequencies and some even attenuate. I'm personally replacing mine with a l.e.d.

:cheers:
Ernest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back