Where to jet ski at the Florida Keys?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDoSeaDoo

I'm thinking of bringing one of my seadoos out to the FL keys here shortly. Plan is to ride around, snorkel and explore little islands. I know that much of the keys are protected against boats/watercrafts, but there has got to be places I can go where I can still snorkel and see cool stuff. It seems pretty hard to find such places online, does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Heres the google search of alligator reef. Parking on the side of road. Or from John Pennekamp

http://www.google.com/search?q=alli...aEMGmqgGw1IGwAg&ved=0CD4QsAQ&biw=1278&bih=680

I know of this place from other site.
Member posted his ride.
http://www.youtube.com/user/pwcpilot1?feature=watch

The ban of watercraft is biscayne national park
http://www.biscayne.national-park.com/biscb.htm

Hope this helps.

NICE! Looks like I'll be heading down to Sanibel Island again next May. Wife is wanting to take the skis, but I'm not sure I will have enough water time with the XP. Also still seems like there's a few things that need to be sorted. Coupled with the fact it would be on a new to me double trailer. Which hasn't yet been really tested. That's a LONG way with that many unknowns.

NICE! Looks like I'll be heading down to Sanibel Island again next May. Wife is wanting to take the skis, but I'm not sure I will have enough water time with the XP. Also still seems like there's a few things that need to be sorted. Coupled with the fact it would be on a new to me double trailer. Which hasn't yet been really tested. That's a LONG way with that many unknowns.

if you make it down to sanibel, look me up, that's my corner of the woods, 25 minutes by car, 15 minutes by boat for me :) its nice riding around sanibel, but it can be a bit choppy, 2-3 foot seas are pretty much the norm around the island, and 1-2 even on the leeward side, but plenty of area's to go. I actually have a hard time getting my ride group to do that area, 3 of us are on X4's and two of them (the ones not named spim) complain about getting bounced around too much.. When I had my big yamaha, sanibel was my favorite ride spot because I could cut thru the chop and it didn't bother me, but I have to admit after about 30 minutes on 3 foot seas, i'm ready for a break on my XP, i'm wet, sweaty and breathing hard.

I like my area so much I even vacation on Ft Myers beach, which is only 20 minutes from home... people think its weird that I vacation 20 minutes form home, but hell, if you live in a vacation paradise... why not ????

for Sanibel alternatives... check the following

http://www.sunstream.com/

i've stayed at every one of their resorts except one... with Pointe Estero and Gull Wing being my favorites. (condo style hotel's) (both on Ft Myers Beach) And the Santa Maria resort is also very very nice with overnight boat docks and its right on Lovers Key.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you make it down to sanibel,

OOOH I love Sanibel.
Last time out I decided to cross over to Ft Myers and it became a little sketchy coming back when the waves pick up with the boat.
Can't image on the ski.

I like going to sandbar that is north of lighthouse toward captive
Its like having a private island

Are those places good for snorkeling? Where can I get a decent anchor on short notice? How large? I have a 450lbs GTS

i haven't had any issues with cell reception, unless you get a few miles off shore.
anchor's are cheap & easy, i have like 3 of them, i just beach the dam things anyway.
snorkeling .. if your asking about sanibel, not recommended, our water is NOT like key west here... its cloudy and brown, if i'm knee deep in the water I can't see my feet :(

OOOH I love Sanibel.
Last time out I decided to cross over to Ft Myers and it became a little sketchy coming back when the waves pick up with the boat.
Can't image on the ski.

I like going to sandbar that is north of lighthouse toward captive
Its like having a private island

yes and yes, the punta rassa area, which we call the washing machine, is where 3 bodies of water come in to the same spot, 3-4 foot waves coming at you from 3 directions at once, but once you get outside there to the lighthouse, its generally slow rollers, and a couple of good breaks for wave jumping, but not as many as you'd expect.

personally I LIKE the washbowl... but none of my buddies do.

all those reasons are why I usually stay in the Caloosahatchee river, peace river, and Estero Bay.

Does anyone want to maybe get together and go cruising next week, like wed or thurs and show me around? I wouldn't mind a day of cruising as long as I get at least one or two of snorkeling. I'm doing a ten day road trip to FL and marking "jet skiing in the keys" off the bucket list :) That and probably starting a new addiction :D

Are those places good for snorkeling? Where can I get a decent anchor on short notice? How large? I have a 450lbs GTS

Couldn't tell you but you can't go wrong anywhere in the keys.
I would have a back plan for gas!

Get a screw in type anchor which is easier to store / small coated mushroom one or folding anchor also works.

edit: I would be down or even show you Miami.
We could go to stilsville......
Only thing tuesday better day off??

I got a couple buddies in Miami I'll be staying with. Not sure of the schedule there, but definitely maybe! I have no clue what there is to see/do in Miami. I'm on a bit of a budget, so I will leave the fancier things for next time. Also, I'm not sure of the plan for when I'll be where as I'm still making my trip itinerary. This idea was born less than a week ago :hurray:

I got a couple buddies in Miami I'll be staying with. Not sure of the schedule there, but definitely maybe! I have no clue what there is to see/do in Miami. I'm on a bit of a budget, so I will leave the fancier things for next time. Also, I'm not sure of the plan for when I'll be where as I'm still making my trip itinerary. This idea was born less than a week ago :hurray:

Yup,

Just keep posting thread or pm me.
I've been wanting to do key run but happy to take you around Miami waterways.
Even have extra ski...

Yup,

Just keep posting thread or pm me.
I've been wanting to do key run but happy to take you around Miami waterways.
Even have extra ski...

re: maimi...south

is stilts ville just south of south beach ?, (and don't you have to sneak into the no wake to see it?) i've launched from the ramp downtown right near monument island, and we headed south, I thought stiltsville was still south of there .. is it ??? is WAS cool to ride around near the cruise ships, and the riding conditions were perfect, long slow rollers and once we turned south is was a wonderful ride. I'd do it again, although my xp isn't the perfect ski for it, but I do have a 12 gal tank although I tend to avoid ocean distance rides in my ski I get beat up after an hour.

back on topic...

the keys...

somebody might chime in with specifics, (i launched from x marina and headed south (map)) but in general ...

you can't go wrong sir, there are some incredibly beautiful ride spots in the keys...

well, hold on...

let me correct that,,, a whole crap can bunch of things can go wrong, you'll be in the ocean and there's a lot of sandbars and some long distances between fuel, but if you've got a good ski and don't go out alone (or even in pairs IMO), and with a ride plan , you'll be just fine. IMO if your not going to be tooling around in high traffic areas's I'd recommend a ride group of 4 + and with luck, a rider in the group that knows where to go, its not a cake walk down there, some great spots to ride but some risk and an organized plan is involved. (the water will be purty...) ...
and yes yes yes, snorkeling, diving is excellent there, we just prefer that you make it there and back in one piece.

there's a group called the soflariders that rides the keys probably 20 times a year on the weekends but lots of 4 strokes in the group but you can google them and see some of the snorkle/ski key west trips they've done, its been pretty awesome. I'm a member but I don't do those rides on the other coast, too far away and the rides are generally 50-70 miles so i'd have to pack gas. quite honestly it would be worth it to join just to do a weekend ride with them if thats on your bucket list, they know how to ride key west. note: your ski might has some issues keeping up, well, your ski Will have some issues keeping up, the conditions can be interesting down there and if your not the slowest ski in the group, you'll be just barely in front of the guy that is....

on the subject of your ski is the GS the 717 version of the gsx? if it is... you've got a ski that will handle the chop ok and probably have pretty good fuel range but you'll be fairly slow, you'll have to push the ski pretty hard to get through long distances of chop.

^Spim

It's south of crandon park in key biscyane. Basically make right out of the port of Miami.
I've done that run a few times already.
Its fun on the xp.
If you want to go further south of stiltsville you go to fowery rock. It's a lighthouse in 6-8 ft of water.

With regards the keys you have to follow markers to a tee!
If not FWC not happy if you run a ground.

if you make it down to sanibel, look me up, that's my corner of the woods, 25 minutes by car, 15 minutes by boat for me :) its nice riding around sanibel, but it can be a bit choppy, 2-3 foot seas are pretty much the norm around the island, and 1-2 even on the leeward side, but plenty of area's to go. I actually have a hard time getting my ride group to do that area, 3 of us are on X4's and two of them (the ones not named spim) complain about getting bounced around too much.. When I had my big yamaha, sanibel was my favorite ride spot because I could cut thru the chop and it didn't bother me, but I have to admit after about 30 minutes on 3 foot seas, i'm ready for a break on my XP, i'm wet, sweaty and breathing hard.

I like my area so much I even vacation on Ft Myers beach, which is only 20 minutes from home... people think its weird that I vacation 20 minutes form home, but hell, if you live in a vacation paradise... why not ????

for Sanibel alternatives... check the following

http://www.sunstream.com/

i've stayed at every one of their resorts except one... with Pointe Estero and Gull Wing being my favorites. (condo style hotel's) (both on Ft Myers Beach) And the Santa Maria resort is also very very nice with overnight boat docks and its right on Lovers Key.

NICE! Yeah we stayed at a condo that had a boat slip/boat ramp access. Last year we didn't take the ski, and to be honest I'm a little concerned about taking them that far anyways. Likely my wife will be preggo and will be riding the larger ski. She has quite the sense of adventure and is pushing me to do it. She's never ridden in open water conditions.....eventhough we both grew up on the beaches of NC. Even myself I've only prolly have a couple hours of open water riding. I always cruised the ICW growing up.

We spend so much time in FL we might as well move there. We were down there 4 times last year. Once to Sanibel, once to St. Pete, once to Jville, and once to Orlando. Already my wife is going to Orlando again in Feb, and we'll be back in Sanibel likely in May.

on the subject of your ski is the GS the 717 version of the gsx? if it is... you've got a ski that will handle the chop ok and probably have pretty good fuel range but you'll be fairly slow, you'll have to push the ski pretty hard to get through long distances of chop.
Yea, I definitely won't be keeping up with a 4-stroke pack. I have the GTS, which in my year was still sporting the 587. It will maybe do 40 on calm water, but it gets some very decent fuel economy. Do you think the chop would ruin the experience? Is it choppy everywhere and all the time? If so, are there areas I can go to either A: avoid overly rough water, or B: just make it out to some nice snorkel spots, drop anchor and splash around? I have ridden around the inner-coastal waterways of NC a bunch, and know how different that can be from the ocean side. I think ocean riding is okay with a person on each ski, but not two on one, esp. when the ski barely weighs over 400lbs.
I definitely plan on having a ride plan, but have not yet had time to check this stuff out online/google earth. Doing other preparations all day like prepping the single trailer and attaching the depth finder.

I'm still in the planning out the exact route/time table, but logistically, going to the Ft. Meyers are and cruising around Sanibel sounds good. From there, we would probably go somewhere where we can get a really good everglades experience. Then I would probably cut across the glades and go to Miami. What is stiltsville? I'd be interested in cruising around that too :) OCOD when are your days off? What would be the best time for you to come out with us? Does/can anyone want to go cruise/snorkel somewhere in the keys later into next week?

Hey,

That is going to sound like a fun trip
Stiltsville is at the edge of Biscayne national park where pwc are not allowed but its done.
Its a row of houses in the middle of the ocean from the 1940's
From there you can go further south to fowery rock. A lighthouse in the middle of the ocean.
Snorkeling highly recommend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiltsville

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Wm5Gx-eGRYA&desktop_uri=/watch?v=Wm5Gx-eGRYA

Next to 4 stroke our GTI / GTS handle 3-5 foot chop very well at WOT

Im off Tuesday or very early Thursday but on time crunch if something happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back