When I retire I want to replace my Ski Doo with a Sea Doo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

schreibdave

This is my first post here. I live in Syracuse NY and I am a die hard snowmobiler. It's my favorite thing to do. When we retire in a couple of years we plan to move south - considering either Hilton Head SC or Santa Rosa Beach, Fla. We love both of those places and vacation there.

Anyway, one of the things about the prospect of retiring and moving south that depresses me is the thought of either giving up snowmobiling or having to leave my wife alone in the retirement place so I can go north for extended periods to sled. It occurred to me today that maybe a PWC could fill the void if I give up sledding. What I enjoy about sledding is being outside, the adventure and the challenge of long days and many miles. I also enjoy having a group of guys to ride with. I dont really care about speed and thrills.

I saw something on the web today about people who rode their PWC 100 miles from Texas to Louisiana for dinner and then home the same day. That is the sort of thing that I would love to be able to do. And that might replace sledding for me.

So here's my question for the group: Is it "a thing" for people to gather in a small group - like maybe a club - and go on different PWC adventures? Like maybe trailer to meeting spot, ride to a destination for lunch and then ride back? Spending all day on the adventure? That's the kind of thing I enjoy bout sledding and would want to try to replicate with the PWC.

My current ride: Zero miles on the odometer right now
20200428_184607.jpg
Thanks

Last edited:
Yes and exactly the same things we love about seadoo’s. Except you are warm.

Although I love and recommend the older 2-strokes, if you want to do longer touring you will want a 4-stroke and the non-supercharged ones are the most reliable.

I see that you are in California, which is not in the cards for me. Is there a southern state on the east coast that has a more dedicated PWC touring culture than the others? Either because of geography or because of people?

I hear you about having to give up sleds. I live in interior Alaska and have no interest in leaving. I have tens of thousands of miles racked up on sleds. My Wife had some surgery done (life or death type) and can't ride sleds or fourwheelers anymore, she can get out on the Sea-Doo. In nine years I can retire and am going to get my Wife to the ocean as much as possible, she loves hearing the surf roll in. The rest of the world is just too crowded for me. I can leave my front door on a sled and be where no one is in 15 minutes, absolute isolation for hundreds of miles in every direction except the one I came in on. One of my favorite things is setting out on my own on a path I don't know, no phone, no one knows where I'm at, I'm in charge of my life with no help from anyone, riding hard and fast. It makes you feel alive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back