What's the fastest you were going and got thrown off your ski?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went Jetskiing yesterday. I had finished for the day when I tied off to the dock and went to get my truck. As I'm backing down this ONE vehicle wide ramp, some out of town idiot starts trying to squeeze in his 21' flats boat. I stop, trailer now in the water and ready for me to pull the jetski on, and tell him to look at the sign, it's a SINGLE vehicle ramp. He gets all pissed off an floors it back up the ramp and his whole freakin boat comes off the trailer onto the ramp. If it had been anything else than a flats boat, he would have done great harm to it. But his lower unit is trashed. I called the county forestry service to let them know a guy had snapped his lower unit off on the ramp and oil was going into the water. (This is a highly protected sanctuary for the Brown Pelican). By the time I got up to HWY 98, about four slow miles due to a National Park and a school, the Forestry truck with a county police car were turning onto the road.

That dude just had a very bad day due to his trying to rush shit and being an idiot. I wonder how much it's gonna cost him to have a lower unit replaced on a Yamaha 150 outboard.

Edit: Not to mention his fines.

I sometimes hang out at the ramps just for laffs. When I lived in SoCal, I used to boat at Lake Mead in Nevada all the time. Before Overton branch marina closed due to low water, the ramps were really treacherous to launch. Some guys were backing down the ramp with a huge boat, dual outdrives, I yelled at them that the lower units were down. One of the dudes told me to mind my own ****ing business. They proceeded to back down, snapped off both outdrives. They were more pissed when I started laughing at them, hey I told you dumbasses but you were too damn smart to listen to me.

I sometimes hang out at the ramps just for laffs. When I lived in SoCal, I used to boat at Lake Mead in Nevada all the time. Before Overton branch marina closed due to low water, the ramps were really treacherous to launch. Some guys were backing down the ramp with a huge boat, dual outdrives, I yelled at them that the lower units were down. One of the dudes told me to mind my own ****ing business. They proceeded to back down, snapped off both outdrives. They were more pissed when I started laughing at them, hey I told you dumbasses but you were too damn smart to listen to me.

Yep, that has actually happened to me at Lake Powell. A couple of old guys pulled up and started to back down. I ran over and said, "Hey, your outboard prop rod is missing, you'll hit you lower unit." One just stared at me while the other said, "Sonny boy, we've been fishing longer than you've been alive (I'm 47 so I doubt that), you let us worry about our boat and you worry about your watercycle."

Sure enough, they started backing up and ripped the lower unit clear off the outboard. I started up my ski and yelled, "Y'all have fun sonny! I'm gonna ride my working watercycle!!"

Yea I actually like it when someone tells me something isn't right . one time I was backing up jet skis getting ready to dunk em someone noticed I didn't have bilge plugs screwed in and told me . Well I was appreciative

Yea I actually like it when someone tells me something isn't right . one time I was backing up jet skis getting ready to dunk em someone noticed I didn't have bilge plugs screwed in and told me . Well I was appreciative

No kidding! Especially when it comes to lower units or bilge plugs! Both can make for a very expensive day.

Here Is a question, I am sure someone can answer.
I herd that the new 300 pwc can go 0 to 60 in 3.8 s.
Do you have to be a 20 year old athlete to have the strength to hold on ?
At what acceleration level does have athletic abilities become a must have.
This reminds me of jet fighters that actually in some cases have a level of performance that's beyond the capabilities of man .

well when I accelerated mine right from a dig it wanted to flip I had to back pedal or I would of been underneath it

Yesterday, 62 on the speedo(not gps), looking over my shoulder and hit some random wakes that had stacked on top of each other at a bad angle. It launched the ski at an angle and when it cased it into tbe 2nd wave it whipped me into a 1/2 sideways superman, probably should have let go but was worried about banging my head on the ski so I held on and banged my left knee on the handle behind the seat and left ankle on the rub rail along with with my right knee on the footwell then 1/2 way into the lake, got some nice swelling and a little limp, feel stupid cause I could have caught some wicked air :facepalm: never came all the way off and didnt stop but man does it hurt. Could have been worse :cheers:

Well so far by looking at this thread , your not likely to get serious injury by hitting the water below 60 mph . Now I have herd of people with speeds in the 40es getting hurt from having their body come in contact with the pwc like for example hitting a sand bar . That's why I am glad I have a sea Doo depth finder so I can survey an area along a creek . I would put the value of my depth finder above the IBR has far a protecting me from injury .

See...here's where ignorance of the subject could get you killed. A depth finder doesn't work fast enough....ie...it doesn't look ahead...it looks down. At 40...you hit a submerged tree trunk...rock...whatever...it's gonna be painful.

And IBR?....c'mon....if you can drive....and pay attention to your surroundings....IBR is just a sales gimmick.

See...here's where ignorance of the subject could get you killed. A depth finder doesn't work fast enough....ie...it doesn't look ahead...it looks down. At 40...you hit a submerged tree trunk...rock...whatever...it's gonna be painful.

And IBR?....c'mon....if you can drive....and pay attention to your surroundings....IBR is just a sales gimmick.

Well passing through a area you plan to ride 1st using a depth finder is better then nothing . It's all about doing what you can to reduce by by no means eliminate risk .

Bang your head on the right spot at 40mph and youre a dead man. Does anybody know the the "spec" for cracking your lid with no helmet and for sure not driving back to the dock?

Some of the baddest injures I have read about come from hitting a sand bar and suddenly stop . If you hit a submerged tree limb or rock you will probably deflect off of it and not come to a sudden stop which is what causes most of the injuries.

Well passing through a area you plan to ride 1st using a depth finder is better then nothing . It's all about doing what you can to reduce by by no means eliminate risk .

I am talking about going through an area say 20 mph making a depth check. Then turning around after getting good depth readings and start full throttle runs up and down the area . I am sure such a act has saved me from at the very least damage to my impeller .

I threw my wife off at about 45 mph last weekend. Needless to say, she was done after that. She went swimming and was sliding all over the seat, I cut hard left and then immediate right and she launched to the left, almost dragging me with her. She said it definitely hurt, I was silently laughing my ass off.

I threw my wife off at about 45 mph last weekend. Needless to say, she was done after that. She went swimming and was sliding all over the seat, I cut hard left and then immediate right and she launched to the left, almost dragging me with her. She said it definitely hurt, I was silently laughing my ass off.

It's SO much harder to remain on a ski as a passenger than as the driver. Especially in hard turns. I'm extremely careful when I have loved ones aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back