What would you pay for this 96xp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lhardy

Hello guys, so I been talking to this guy for a couple days now. Not really pulling the trigger on anything but he says he had somebody offer him 650 just for the motor, what is this worth. it’s been in storage for five years and the guy before that had it in storage for 4-5 years compression is at 155 on both cylinders. I guess my question is what would you pay for this there is no trailer included & it is titled...Of course it doesn’t currently, still has original fuel lines, but compression is good.

It’s a standard 96’ XP with an aftermarket air cleaner and nozzle so nothing special. If it was running $1200, not running $500. I would verify compression yourself.

In Canada that goes for 1500-2000. States not a bad price at 850 but aim for 750 since someone offered 650 for just the motor

Compression don't mean all that much. It is amazing to me how damaged an engine can be and still have acceptable compression 140-150psi.

Though not running, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get asking price, lately the average listing I've been seeing for a running 96' XP 800 even with a few minor issues has been in the $2000-$2500 range. There's no other hull being made today to compare it too, it's light and fast. It's becoming highly collectible, real quick like. I'm not much of a fan of the X4 hull because I want something easier on the body at my age, but you can bet the 20 something year olds wanting to hang with and our perform their Spark buddies at $5.5 - $7.5K are scoping them up quick.

Though not running, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get asking price, lately the average listing I've been seeing for a running 96' XP 800 even with a few minor issues has been in the $2000-$2500 range. There's no other hull being made today to compare it too, it's light and fast. It's becoming highly collectible, real quick like. I'm not much of a fan of the X4 hull because I want something easier on the body at my age, but you can bet the 20 something year olds wanting to hang with and our perform their Spark buddies at $5.5 - $7.5K are scoping them up quick.

More reason for me to keep the one I got I suppose. LOL

People might be asking $2500 for a 96’ XP but they aren’t getting it. Standard going price is still about $1,500 for an average runner. Although there will always be outliers.

They still have a loyal following but they aren’t becoming collectibles or increasing in value.

Remember the general public doesn’t want the hassle of the old 2 strokes, they would rather buy a new reliable Spark with a warranty.

People might be asking $2500 for a 96’ XP but they aren’t getting it. Standard going price is still about $1,500 for an average runner. Although there will always be outliers.

They still have a loyal following but they aren’t becoming collectibles or increasing in value.

Remember the general public doesn’t want the hassle of the old 2 strokes, they would rather buy a new reliable Spark with a warranty.

And you know this? Nobody is getting asking price? Are you tracking all the sell data on 96' XP 800's? Then why are they listing them so 'high'? Unless they're lying, on the FB seadoo forums I'm seeing them go for over $2K pretty consistently. We're older, we don't think it's a bargain, but the younger crowd is opening the wallet on them.. Like I've said before, walk onto a showroom floor, and all the old 2 strokes seem like a bargain, even at prices we consider high...

I said the exact thing about the old air cooled 911 porsche's 30 years ago, they have a loyal following but they aren't becoming collectible or increasing in value. They weren't reliable, air cooled, bad handling, and ....yeah, go check that out.... The XP 800 X4 hull will increase in value, it is the 911 porsche of the old 2 strokes....can't be repeated or replaced. Light, powerful, nothing on the market compares or replaces it. They bring $2k today and probably over $3k in 5yrs as numbers dwindle further..

In my area all the old 2 strokes are bringing more than they did 5 years ago. They are becoming harder to find here and 2000 is what the 96 skis are going for . That’s the Gtx , xp and 97 -2000 Gti’s.

In Canada that goes for 1500-2000.

And around here usually no trailer too Lol.

Just bought a second 97 gsx yesteday with trailer for $2600 CAD. seller figured $800 for the trailer and $1800 for the ski. That's about as good as it gets around my neck of the woods for something in this good of condition. original owner, maintenance records, stored indoors (waterfront property with seadoo storage shed). Original seat, all plastics, etc still look new lol.

It's always boggled my mind how much cheaper you guys in the US are able to grab these things for... But I'm sure that's a function of the population difference. Just jealous i suppose.

And around here usually no trailer too Lol.

Just bought a second 97 gsx yesteday with trailer for $2600 CAD. seller figured $800 for the trailer and $1800 for the ski. That's about as good as it gets around my neck of the woods for something in this good of condition. original owner, maintenance records, stored indoors (waterfront property with seadoo storage shed). Original seat, all plastics, etc still look new lol.

It's always boggled my mind how much cheaper you guys in the US are able to grab these things for... But I'm sure that's a function of the population difference. Just jealous i suppose.

Sweet deal, it tends to vary widely based on condition here in the states. On a search, I inquired on a couple really clean 97' GSX's in the Southeast where on one the owner wasn't budging off $1800 and another for $2500 (original owner) both had old cheap trailers. I gave up when I ran into "well it did run" on a 97' GSX for $1500, then I ended up buying the 'needs everything' 96' GSX w/trailer for $440.

Sweet deal, it tends to vary widely based on condition here in the states. I inquired on a couple really clean 97' GSX's in the Southeast where the owner wasn't budging off $1800 and another for $2500 (original owner) both had old cheap trailers. I gave up when I ran into "well it did run" on a 97' GSX for $1500, then I bought the needs everything 96' GSX w/trailer for $440.

Well i don't mind paying when it's actually a turn key machine because it's easy to put that difference into something that needs fixing lol, that's what happened with my first GSX. Problem is it's so much work to find someone not trying to pull a fast one on you and it's a real piss off when you drive a couple hours only to realize that's what's going on.

This one has had all fuel system components replaced over the last couple years other than a carb rebuild which is all I'm planning on doing to it. Now just need to find someone wanting to swap a couple single trailers for a double.

I can only say what I see here in California at the moment. All of them listed for more than $2,000 have been on craigslist all summer and haven't moved. I know every market is different so maybe they are going for more other places. I know Florida is usually lower in prices too.

It would be great if the would go up in value but I not holding my breath yet. If they do you better start stocking up on them now.

I live in Michigan and picked up my 96 xp with a trailer included for $1500. From what I have seen the ski alone is around 1500-2000. The trailer can range from 300-500 so i think I made a good deal.

Personally i wouldnt pay 850 for it if it didn't run. If it does run (and float) id be on my way to pick it up now.

I have my two SPX w/trailer for sale now @$2500. New batteries, fuel lines replaced along with carb rebuild, fuel filters added, fuel gauges repaired, etc. Trailer was home built, rusty but repaired,with new tires. Had them out last weekend at Lake Glenville and both ran good. However compression is 130 indicating future top end rebuild. See pix in For Sale section.
Is that a fair price?

I live in Montreal and i picked up a 96xp 2 hours away for 2500$. It wasn't in great condition either. Had to put another 1000$ in it just to get her back up to spec. I tried to find one cheaper, wasn't going to happen. The only cheap ones were drug running seadoos around the us Canada border near London Ontario. So in my neck of the woods, a 96xp is very much sought after and I expect not to have much difficulty selling mine for at or over 3k. If someone is selling his for 850$, that sounds like a decent price if you are a diy kind of guy. But always try to get more of a deal. Can't hurt to try

I said the exact thing about the old air cooled 911 porsche's 30 years ago, they have a loyal following but they aren't becoming collectible or increasing in value. They weren't reliable, air cooled, bad handling, and ....yeah, go check that out.... The XP 800 X4 hull will increase in value, it is the 911 porsche of the old 2 strokes....can't be repeated or replaced. Light, powerful, nothing on the market compares or replaces it. They bring $2k today and probably over $3k in 5yrs as numbers dwindle further..

Lol, your living in the Porsche world from 30 years ago. You need to stop back in to see what they go for today.Ok I'm talking real Porshes, not s 914. Price out a dead 356, they're going for more than my brand new GTI. Price a mid 80's 911. Air cooled 911's, yeah, values are through the roof. You should have stock piled 30 years ago, that would have been a killer 401k profile.

Do the seller a favor. Tell him you'll take both for his asking price of $850. That spare hull is literally $50-$75. If he balks, then tell him you'll take the one for $550. He'll never get 3 hundos. It's a 96 XP, I'm tripping over them at my house just about. I haven't paid over $350 for a complete one m non running.

Lol, your living in the Porsche world from 30 years ago. You need to stop back in to see what they go for today.Ok I'm talking real Porshes, not s 914. Price out a dead 356, they're going for more than my brand new GTI. Price a mid 80's 911. Air cooled 911's, yeah, values are through the roof. You should have stock piled 30 years ago, that would have been a killer 401k profile.

Don't we all wish we'd stock piled old 911's, but that was my point, what we don't see as valuable today may be a premium tomorrow. In a 3-5 yrs I think a clean 96' XP 800 will bring in $2500 - $3500, as indicated from some people, in some parts of Canada that is already the case.

Well, the northern market was always high, they were sold here 20 fold to up there. So, that's a horrible gauge. Plus, they always quote Canadian dollar. Those $2500 cad skis are really $1900 here, so watch their numbers. Mid west, values are a little higher than most coastal destinations. Florida, where the op is located, pennies on the dollar my friend. That market is so saturated with old 2 strokes it's ridiculous. I'll say New York is a cut off where prices begin to go up a little. Above there, price increase, not that many up there. Supply and demand.

The market is saturated with "junk" jet skis, not good ones. So much junk out there it drags the price of the good ones down. When guys like us get finished going thought our skis... they are top notch and reliable. That's value. My neighbor is cheap and won't pay money for anything. She was determined to buy a jet ski for $800. Well she got one. a 96 GTX that doesn't run? What's that worth. She'll probably need the fuel system gone through and maybe rebuilt carbs. What's that cost? $600??

Found this old thread so I figured I'd update. My neighbor asked me to fix her ski, the one she got for $800. The engine is deader than dead. Took me a week to get it apart without destroying it. Gray pudding in the bottom end. Now she's trying to get $1000 for it. No title. Keep dreaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back